Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member needs help. 2001 yamaha 25hp 4-stroke not starting. Video included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member needs help. 2001 yamaha 25hp 4-stroke not starting. Video included.

Hello all. I am so glad to have found this site. I recently bought a 10-foot RIB with 2001 F25TLRZ 4-stroke outboard. The boat was running great and one day it just shut off and never turned back on. It cranked just fine but did not start. After doing some inspecting I discovered that the fuel filter water separator was corroded so badly that it was causing leaks. I have since bought a new filter with a new head and clear bottom bowl. I installed the filter but the engine still wouldn't start. again, it cranked just fine but would not start. Until today it stopped cranking all together. The starter motor does lift and try to move the wheel but it doesn't, it stutters. I know for a fact its not the battery. Did I burn the starter from trying to start it so many times? I have uploaded a video of what is happening. Thanks in advance for any help!

http://youtu.be/PhVRJHoKkMc

Bad battery, battery cables, or just connections would be my guess.
    Need to use a voltmeter to see what is going on.

No need to keep running starter if it will not fire up.
    Need to check to see what is wrong.
    does it have spark?

Comment

My main question is; after reading what i wrote and watching the video, do you think I burned out the starter? I just need to know weather i should go ahead and buy a new starter or not.

Comment

I would try wire brushing some of your connections first. You would be surprised how much power is lost in your starting system if your ground has a bunch of corrosion on it especially the ground. I saw the video and you got it. If the ones on your battery are like the ones on your engine you might want to hit them too. Clean them off put some dielectric on them and give it a go. Costs less than a starter..

Happy Cleaning,
        Gunz

Comment

Originally posted by gunz@pc View Post
          I would try wire brushing some of your connections first. You would be surprised how much power is lost in your starting system if your ground has a bunch of corrosion on it especially the ground. I saw the video and you got it. If the ones on your battery are like the ones on your engine you might want to hit them too. Clean them off put some dielectric on them and give it a go. Costs less than a starter..

Happy Cleaning,
          Gunz
          Thanks for the advise Gunz. I'm going to wire brush all the connections and get back to you.

Comment

Won't start

U need fuel & spark to start.
            Remove spark plugs then reconnect the spark lead & test for spark by holding the body of the plug onto a bare metal part of the engine body.
            Crank the engine & you should see a tiny spark jump from the plug centre post to the earth tab of the plug. Do not lift the plug body of the engine frame while cranking the engine or you might get a shock.

If you can't see the spark jump the gap, try again with a new plug.
            Still no spark ? See a mechanic.
            If the spark is ok then you might have a fuel problem.
            Clean & dry the plugs then replace them.
            Pump up the fuel bulb until it is firm.
            Crank the engine for 5 or 10 seconds then remove & inspect them.
            The plugs should have a wet film of fuel over the sparking end.
            If they don't, see a mechanic.

Comment

So yesterday I decided to remove the outboard from the boat and bring it to my house. It's now on a stand and much easier to work with. Now my only problem is starting it. On the boat it starts with a turn key on the remote control box. I did not want to remove that from the boat also. How do i try to start it without the remote control box? Since the boat is in my place now I can take and upload photos immediately if anyone would like any.

Comment

Working...
              X