2008 50hp Yahmaha outboard carb trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 50hp Yahmaha outboard carb trouble

I have a 2008 Yahmaha 50 hp outboard on my 2008 Yahmaha g3 boat.
    My outboard continues to have a problem with the carbs . Its been rebuilt twice and has been very unreliable. The dealer (RJ Marine in Wilkes Barre, PA ) keeps telling me its the gas with the ethanol but I run marine stabil in every tank and replace the large filter every six months. I cannot rely on the outboard anymore and am very disappointed.
    The dealer blames the gas but everybody else that got the same gas as me had no problems.
    It has ruined 2 fishing trips for me now, one to NY and one to Canada. I don't know what to do. ... please help. The dealer says I have to drain the carbs evertime I park it. I find it hard to believe that I have to do this to a outboard thats only a 2008.

Later carbs can be more problematic than earlier carbs.

Did your dealer use a heated ultrasonic carb cleaner? If not, he might be wasting his time. And your money.

Is this a start and idle issue or ???? How can we offer help if we don't know what the problem actually is?

Talk to your dealer, or a mechanic, about installing larger jets. Particularly the idle jets.

Or, drain the carb bowls each time before you put it away for a while.

Thank the EPA for your problems.

Comment

Thanks for your reply... It seems as though the floats seem to stick open and I go through a lot of gas and the motor is barely running. This even happens if I let it sit overnight. It ran great for three years , then all down hill from there.
      Thanks again ...
      james d rowe

Comment

If it is running too rich like you are saying then I would be looking at the prime start enrichment system to make sure it is working properly

Comment

***, your problem was the opposite of what I had expected.

Was the Primestart device inspected by the mechanic that serviced the carburetors?

Has the Primestart over ride control, if equipped, been verified as being in the proper position?

Is this a start and idle issue or? What exactly is going on?

If a float is stuck open and if you get to mid power or beyond I would not expect the problem to manifest itself then, particularly at wide open throttle.

What happens if you pump the primer ball when the motor is off? If the float causes the needle valve to not close then raw fuel should spill from the affected carburetor.

Did the mechanic replace the float and needle valve?

Perhaps you need a new carburetor (hard to think all three have failed at the same time in the same manner) or a new mechanic.

Comment

If you're only addressing the carbs, you could have contaminated gas and gummed up fuel lines. If that's the case, as soon as you fire up after service, you're back where you started.

Thinking ignition, I gave up and spent a grand at the dealer. In addtion to rebuilding the carbs, they wanted another three hundred to clean the tank and lines not including disposing of the gas. Since that was more than the cost of replacing them, I pumped the tank into my oldest car and threw out everything upstream of the quick connect at the engine.

I'm not sure if your service guy is ducking a less than thorough carb rebuild, but I do as he recommends. I drain the bowls, pump out the tank and dump the water separating fuel filter. No gas to go bad between trips.

I feel it's a bigger issue for me because months go by between trips. So far so good, it now runs very consistently.

Comment

Working...
            X