Start up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its an electrothermal valve.
    has a wax pellet inside and a heating coil.
    takes A/C power from the lighting coil once flywheel speed is achieved and supplies it to the heating coil.
    as the pellet heats up it extends a tapered rod into the enrichment port closing off the additional fuel.

that little cover with a red lever is actually a diaphragm vacuum operated pump.
    that pump is what feeds fuel to the intake passages through the electrothermeral valve opening.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

It is a system that works off the electrical system, how is it NOT electronic but electromechanical? It does indeed use electricity to activate the unit..
      Is an electric motor or a switch an electrical component or an electronic component?

Is a transistor, ECU or an integrated circuit an electronic component or an electrical component?

All use electricity as their source of power. I suppose that it depends upon how that electrical power goes about doing its job as to it being electrical or electronic. And that reasonable people will sometimes disagree as to what is considered electrical and what is considered electronic.

For me, I would never consider the heating circuit in a Primestart mechanism as an electronic component. Is is as basic as an electrical switch. All it is is a high resistance device that heats up as current flows through it. Think of it as the glowing red wire you see when looking down into your toaster. Not the same of course but the principle is similar.

The mechanical part comes about when wax being heated by the heating element causes a steel needle/tapered rod to move.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        It certainly makes sense how it works however I'm not sure about the play on words.

It is a system that works off the electrical system, how is it NOT electronic but electromechanical? It does indeed use electricity to activate the unit..

Bottom line, it would have been nice to explain to the op earlier of how that unit functions (not just a name) and that the electric's automatically take take of starting enrichment (thus the reason for not to push anything, etc as that does nothing).

Post #13 explains it fully eventually..
        There is a difference between the two
        Electronics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Thanks for the claification gentleman..

I had not seen this style unit on an OB engine. On the parts fisch, I saw an electronic switch which obviously plugged into the wiring harness.

On most motorcycle (Yamaha) engines with FI, from the small engines 600cc to the a least 1300cc, they use heated water from the coolant system that works with melting the wax for a richer start up and higher idle. Similar but a different approach. Obviously the OB doesn't warm up as much as a closed system MC engine and wouldn't work on an OB..

*As I side note, I know I'm the new guy here, but a lot folks, myself included, enjoy learning as much as possible on this forum re the Yamaha OB engine. Not just replace part x problem solved, BUT, part x does x which in turn causes your issue... (ie, the original poster even after being told it doesn't make a difference still didn't know why and was searching other forums). He does not know the experiance (or non experiance) of some of the folks here unless you've been on awhile..

Just a simple explanation is usually very appreciated.
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

start up question

It looks as if I may have opened a can of worms here. That was not my intent. But I have to admit I have learned a lot about my ignition system thanks to the knowledge of all responders. Even at my age I am still amazed at what I don't know.
            Thanks to all. Baldy locks

Comment

Working...
            X