Start up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start up question

I have a 2010 50 tlr 2 stroke. Is it necessary to depress key switch on initial cold start up for choke purposes. In my search so far on Google about half say yes , and the other half say definitely not. I was hoping one of you Yamaha pros could clear this up for me, please.

have you looked to see if you have a choke or the prime start system on your motor?

Or have you read your owners manual?

I have not looked myself, but doubt that new of a motor has a choke that needs the switch pushed for start up

Comment

according to my parts catalog the last 50 2 stroke was a 2009, and it is prime start, do not need to pust the key.. just crank away, should take about 4 seconds for it to hit and start..

Comment

prime the carbs, turn the key.
        it either starts or its broke.

Comment

Start up question?

Thank you for the replies, I do appreciate it. sequioha, I bought this engine new in 2011 and was told that it was a year old, 2010, but you could be corrrect and they were not being honest with me. Not really having issues, just saw this discussed on another site and just wondering if I have been starting it the wrong way all this time. Rodbolt, really liked your brief and to the point reply, you are right sir '" it ain't broke."
          Thanks again all.

Comment

this is a 2 stroke motor so if you read the manual it tells you about starting ,in short
            prime the bulb until it get hard
            make sure the lanyard is installed in the emergency stop button
            press the key in as it switches the solenoid on the carb
            turn the key and it will start
            if it dosent start take it to RODBOLT he knows what to do

Comment

Originally posted by madharchod View Post
              this is a 2 stroke motor so if you read the manual it tells you about starting ,in short
              prime the bulb until it get hard
              make sure the lanyard is installed in the emergency stop button
              press the key in as it switches the solenoid on the carb
              turn the key and it will start
              if it dosent start take it to RODBOLT he knows what to do
              It is a PrimeStart motor- no choke. Depressing the key does nothing.

Comment

Startup question?

It looks like I'm starting to get the same results as the other posts I researched on this topic. 50-50 yes and no. My manual says nothing about pushing key in at start up, just turn key after prime. No disrespect intended toward any of the responders here, bur rodbolt has never lead me astray. On the advice of a friend this past week I have mounted my primer bulb where it stays in a vertical position. Since doing that the bulb has remained hard for several days and starts up immediately, without pushing in key. Before I would have to crank it 3 or 4 times before it started and then after start it would usually die and then after next start remain running. I really feel I was not fully priming the carbs or it was losing prime while laying horizontal days or weeks between start ups. Does that make sense to you guys?
                Thanks, Baldy Locks

Comment

I do not see where you get 50/50 as there were 5 responses and 4 were for not having to push the key

Comment

start up question?

The 50-50 I was referring to was the responses on this forum and from other sources I have found. And actually I was being conservative, because the other sources were about 75 % in favor of pushing in key. I assume now they are mistaken.

Comment

Yes they are mistaken,, and the arrow on the bulb not only gives you the direction of fuel flow, but the orientation of the primer bulb,, north/south, the check valve in the bulb is a gravity valve, thus gravity pulls it down, you do the math. Glad you are satisfied with the responses and your engine is running good.. tight lines... Seq

Comment

The middle carb does have an electronic primer assembly, part #34:

2006 and Later 2-stroke 50TLR Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Push the key in if it makes you feel better. Won't hurt a thing. Or help either.

The Primestart fuel enrichment device is not electronic. It is electromechanical. When the motor is cold, so too is the device. When cold, a needle in the device is retracted. Like your dong on a cold winter day.

The needle being retracted allows more fuel to flow through the carburetor. This facilitates a cold start.

Once the motor is running it creates electrical power. Some of this power is fed to the device. This causes the device to warm and as it does the needle extends. Like your dong when a hot woman apples power to it.

The needle extends and stops the fow of extra fuel since it is no longer required. This is all automatic. The operator does not do a thing. Unless he wants something extra to do, like pushing the key in.

Capiche?

Comment

back to, turn the key, starts or its broke.
                            dang simple.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The Primestart fuel enrichment device is not electronic. It is electromechanical.

Capiche?
                              It certainly makes sense how it works however I'm not sure about the play on words.

It is a system that works off the electrical system, how is it NOT electronic but electromechanical? It does indeed use electricity to activate the unit..

Bottom line, it would have been nice to explain to the op earlier of how that unit functions (not just a name) and that the electric's automatically take take of starting enrichment (thus the reason for not to push anything, etc as that does nothing).

Post #13 explains it fully eventually..
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-15-2013, 06:42 AM.
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X