No power to prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to prop

Prop engages in forward and reverse prop will not spin by hand when engaged but with motor running prop engages but doesn't turn and motor throttles up and down.

Huh? Try again. I don't understand.

Comment

I'd guess a spun hub. Tight enough so you can spin by hand when it's in gear, but motor spins fast enough to break loose the hub...

Comment

Originally posted by exeter27 View Post
        I'd guess a spun hub. Tight enough so you can spin by hand when it's in gear, but motor spins fast enough to break loose the hub...
        Still missed it
        need to pay attention to what you write

Do you have a question for someone to answer?
        Last edited by 99yam40; 09-03-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Ok, I didn't write the original post, but here's how I read it - literally using his original words - but adding punctuation and capitalization...

Prop engages in forward and reverse. Prop will not spin by hand when engaged. But with motor running prop engages - but doesn't turn - and motor throttles up and down.

So, I think he shifts into forward or reverse, prop locks up (i.e. couples to engine) enough so that poster cannot turn prop by hand. When he starts the engine, he shifts into gear, but prop doesn't spin as he throttles up and down.

If you couple that with the subject of 'no power to prop' tells me his engine is running, shifts properly into gear, but the prop isn't staying coupled to the engine. Thus my logic that the prop hub is breaking loose.

I'm guessing his question is: Why is my prop not powering my boat forward?

The original poster needs to reply to these posts and confirm/deny my hunch - or clearly identify his problem and what he hopes to do.

Comment

I find this more of the norm than the exception. I say we start ignoring these folks who write in gibberish. If we keep catering to them with their illiterate form of writing they will continue to do it, STOP answering them and maybe they'll start writing with basic literary skills.

If you want to text with this gibberish, fine, if you want answers to technical questions please write your question in proper English.

BTW, your motor is ruined. Unbolt it from the transom of the boat and let it submerge below water for about a month. It should run fine after you clean the carbs.

Comment

I think that is a bit extreme, while I agree, some posts are hard to make sense out of, but just because someone is not a literary genius does not mean they don't deserve help, or a right to post on a forum.

Comment

Working...
              X