Engine Maintenance Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Maintenance Meter

I have a year old Sea Pro powered with the new 250 Four Stroke. I would like to keep track of the engine hours for maintenance and resale purposes. I looked at Yamaha's engine maintenance meter that runs around $50.00, but there is no information on how to install. I concerned about buying something that inexpensive and finding out it takes a pro to install. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Captain,
    The hour meter just keeps track of how long the ignition has been on - should have two wires - a ground (black) and red (ignition). You can pick up the hot ignition wire under the console - will be the common 12 volt ignition wire that goes to the other gauges - can check it out with a voltmeter when you turn on the ignition.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Yes the ignition ON wire should be Yellow, black is the ground wire. Simple to install. But the F250 computer keeps track of engine hours exactly (read with a laptop and the YDS software...) and if you have the newer digital tach it also has an hour meter built in, check that out first before you buy anything. If your tach has two buttons on the face just below the LCD area then it has the hours meter built in. Push the mode button a couple of times and it should pop up.

Mike.......... Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have an analog tach on this boat. I may just spring for the digital Yamaha tach.

Thanks again.

Comment

On Yamaha hour meters you have a choice, you can connect the gauge signal wire to green wire(tach signal wire) on gauge harness and the hour meter will only record time engine has ran or you can connect to yellow wire(12 volts key on) on gauge harness to record time the ign key is on.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X