Power tilt on throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tilt on throttle

When i hit the power tilt on my throttles my rpm's on my motors drop a 100 rpm. I have a 1999 28 pursuit with twin 1999 225 ox 66 yamies. This seems to only happen at cruising speed 3300-3800 rpm. You con hear and feel the motor or motors bog down. I am not sure if it only happens to the port motor or both , but the port one for sure. If idleing or slow moving you can tilt the motors and nothing seems to change. Any Ideas. It has been this way for the whole season. and never paid much attention to it because I was dealing with vst and other fuel issues. Thanks

sounds like a possible short in the t/t system, or weak battery system... you may have weak/worn brushes causing a larger draw than normal...might want to have someone try the motor mounted switch at the suggested rpm...see if the problem is consistent.could be just a corroded thumb switch also.no similar prob when using the dual switches on top of the 704?

Comment

I have run across this several times. Most of time we found bad battery cables or ground wires on engine, battery cables can corrode at ends causing a high resistance in cable. Cables can be tested with a set of jumper cables connected to battery and to battery cable terminals on engine. Also accessory’s or electronics connected to ignition switch, nothing should be wired to to switch or gauge wire harness except for the engine and gauges (including connection to ground wire on gauge harness), the wires in the engine main (ten pin) harness are only 14 and 16 gauge wires and can't handle the extra power draw of accessory's can cause problem's like you have and too high of voltage to electronics’ (depth finder or GPS reading high voltage). Accessories should be connected to fuse panel and ground from battery.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks guys . One question boats.net if I leave the electronics off and it does not do it , I guess its that. I have always had the depth and gps on when it has happened. I bought the boat used and I am not good with electrical. Thanks again.

Comment

You might check the wires that go from battery to console usually to a fuse panel and ground terminal block. If say the ground wire is broken then it may seek another ground path and use the ground wire in engine harness causing an overload. But dont forget to check all wires and cables at battery when troubleshooting electrical it's always better to start at the source.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Will do Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X