Trim Tilt not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Tilt not working

I have a 1997 Yamaha C80 on my pontoon boat. The engine is stuck in the "down" position and will not come up. Pressing the switch "up" only produces a clicking sound. When pressing the switch "down" it sounds like the motor is running/pumping but as it is already fully down, of course it does not move. I would like to pull the unit and repair it but can't get to it as the engine is in the way! How can I manually lift the engine to access the unit? Also, as to the problem of it not working, any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I have the factory service manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Friz

Determine if it is the relay or the PTT assembly. I am guessing the relay but...

Remove the grass green and sky blue wire leads that go to the relay from the PTT assembly. A 10mm socket is used on the nuts.

Apply positive 12 volt power to the sky blue lead and ground to the grass green lead. Does the motor now power up?

Reverse the leads. Does the motor now power down? If so, PTT assembly is good.

If so, it appears to be the relay.

Comment

Re manually lifting the engine:

Usually on the port side of the engine transom mount, you'll see a larger cast hole (approx 3/4") with some words cast on it. (maybe "release" with an arrow pointing CC)

If you look into the hole, you'll see a flat head screw usually held in with a "C" clip.

Just loosen, counterclockwise that screw and it'll release the hydralic pressure and you can manually lift it or gravity will drop the engine down (if its stuck in the UP position).

If transporting the boat and the engine needs to be raised, same thing, loosen the screw, manually raise the engine and use the mechanical engine support up near the main pivot shaft.

The above info should be in the owners manual and likely in the shop manual as well.

Good luck..
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-24-2013, 04:16 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you. Found the valve and it worked as you said it would

Comment

I wrote a thank you reply to Boscoe99 this afternoon but I don't see it anywhere on the post. Anyhow, I did as you suggested. The engine went up and down with the relay disconnnected so I will be buying a new relay. Thanks again for the help.
          Friz

Comment

Your welcome.

Good luck with the fix, please post if that (relay) was indeed the issue.

Just a quick note, with the motor locked in the up position and ALL the rams EXTENDED, on the oil reseviour there should be a screw to check the hydralic fluid level.

If the level is low, it can act up as well. I believe it takes Dextron ATF and/or yamaha fuid. Fluid should be right up to the edge when you remove that check bolt/screw.

Part #36 is the check screw:

1997 C80TLRV Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSEMBLY 1 Diagram and Parts
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-08-2014, 08:44 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

A little more help please. I am trying to remove the PTT assembly. Engine is fully tilted up. Tilt piston rod is down. All bolts (6) removed attaching the PTT to the Bracket. PTT slides up about an inch and runs into something I can't see. I was hoping to slide it up and pull it out the back. Perhaps the PTT comes out forward? In which case the Bracket and engine will have to be disconnected and moved away from the transom.

Friz

Comment

my guess is you need to loosen one of the clamp brackets to allow it to slide out

Comment

Thanks. I didn't realize the that the bracket was split. I looked at after reading your post and sure enough it is. I will give it a try.

Thanks, Friz

Worked like a charm. Unit is on the work bench.
                  Last edited by Friz Freleng; 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X