Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tach wiring 150 HP 1990

Hello:

I am having a problem with my tach. I bought the boat this way. I understand it runs off the stator on AC power. I had replaced a non working rectifier, found a short in the green wire in the harness running up the boat and replaced the tach. I still get the same behavior. The tach does not work, but when I shut off the motor the needle drops slightly. I am assuming there is a wire issue somewhere in the engine harness. This is a carb engine with electronic ignition. But I am certainly open to other ideas. I do have a few questions:

1) does the tach only run off the green wire and ground? Or does it need power too? All the wires are hooked up to the tach. But perhaps the tach needs power or perhaops the power is what causes the slight needle drop.

2) I would like to try and bypass as much of the engine wire harness as possible and run a wire close to the stator to the tach. But much of the wiring seems wrapped. Any ideas?

3) I am surprised there is no obvious tach connection on the motor itself to attach a tach when tuning the engine.

I was considering running the engine and trying a voltmeter on AC and checking a few locations, on the tach, wiring harness at the engine connection. I was also considering using my old tach instead of a volmeter and attaching to ground and then the green wire to various locations.

Any thoughts or procedures?

Thanks
Working...
X