Throttle Position Sensor voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Position Sensor voltage

I have an 04 225 VMAX HPDI. Does anyone know what the voltage readings on the TPS should be in the closed position and at idle. I have the Yammie manual but have heard that there was an update to the numbers they had in there.

Jeff

The manual I have still says .50v +/- .02v with the throttle plates closed, and .60v +/- .02v at idle. I disconnect the throttle cable from the pin while I do this check so there's no interference from the cable in closing the throttle plates fully. Then set the idle speed with the idle screw, then reconnect the throttle cable over the pin making sure it's exactly zeroed over the pin.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike, I'll be checking it this weekend. Something has to be up with my motor and I figure this is one of the easy places to look first. Oh by the way the problem I am having is that I am running this on a 20-6 Champion Bass Boat. Everyone, and I mean everyone, tells me I should be able to run a 25 pitch prop on this boat no problem. I try to run any 25 and I can only turn 5200 RPM. Here is the curious part even if I drop to a 24 or 23 I only turn 5200 - 5300 RPM. There is only one prop that will turn and that is an old K-Series (Pro Series) prop in a 23 pitch prop. The prop has a tiny diameter. Just seems something is off on this motor since so many props bog it.

Comment

I don't know. Maybe the 25 is too much for it. Or the motor is too low. Have you seen someone else with a 20 Champion and the same motor running a 25? I would bet a 23 is closer. Talk to Marcus down at Power Tech Props and see what he says. www.ptprops.com

Mike

Comment

i would try to lift the motor a hole or 2 as you can get more performance out of it,just like a jackplate would do. only take an hour and you will get more r`s out of it. if you have any cavitating or overheat issues after put it back down.i have an older pro-v that used to be able to run a 26 omc raker but shes gettin tired now and doesnt hookup like she used to,still turns it but not the same,no more hundred foot roosters but still does great with an all around 21 pitch.

Comment

On the HPDI engines the TPS adjustment is a little different. With the idle screw backed off and throttle plates closed set the TPS to .48-.52 volts then adjust idle screw to reach .62 volts on TPS and make no futher adjustments to idle speed when start up engine (set idle with engine off).
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

EVerybody I know running the same hull as mine is running a 25 or 27 and turning anywhere from 5500 - 5900 and running low to mid 70's GPS. I can't turn any bigger props even a bigger 23 like a T1 dogs my motor out. Oh the motor has been run at all heights as I have a ten inch jackplate on it. I'll check the TPS this weekend and post what I find.

Comment

Working...
              X