2007 F250 overheat at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 F250 overheat at idle

I have a 2007 F250. I have had overheat, at idle, problems for a while . Last year I had a dealer replace both thermostats, put in a new impeller, checked and cleaned poppet valve. I have put about 10 hrs. on it since then. Today I hook up the ear muffs and start it. No water from pee hole , after about 3 mins. overheat alarm goes off. Try again ,this time water comes out of pee hole but like it's got air in it then stops coming out at all. I try this several time with the same results , sometime water comes out the pee hole but then stops. Using the hose flush plenty water comes out pee hole. Any suggestions??

does the over heat only occur on the ear muff attachment, and are you turning the water pressure all the way up. if you are turning the water pressure all the way up, DONT, this will blow the muffs off the intake and allow it to suck air,, path of least resistance, air is lighter than water,, also the 250 has a quite large cooling system, I always hook up both lower and upper flush attachments,,

Comment

F250 overheat

I'll try this later today. The overheat alarm goes off when boat is in the water at idle speed also. This is why I had work done at dealer. Had boat in the shop three years in a row for same problem, motor has 135hrs. on it. Thanks.
      Last edited by unclejhim; 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

sounds to me like the dealer doesnt know what to do, the cooling system is not rocket science.. I would put a water pressure gauge, and try to find the problem and quit throwing parts at it..

Comment

Originally posted by unclejhim View Post
          I have a 2007 F250. I have had overheat, at idle, problems for a while . Last year I had a dealer replace both thermostats, put in a new impeller, checked and cleaned poppet valve. I have put about 10 hrs. on it since then. Today I hook up the ear muffs and start it. No water from pee hole , after about 3 mins. overheat alarm goes off. Try again ,this time water comes out of pee hole but like it's got air in it then stops coming out at all. I try this several time with the same results , sometime water comes out the pee hole but then stops. Using the hose flush plenty water comes out pee hole. Any suggestions??
          Just to let you know, those larger four stroke engines will not pump water through the engine on a water hose. Take it to the water, back it in and it will likely work fine if it was when you parked it. I learned this the hard way and it made no sense, but those pumps are not capable of pumping the water that high (through the engine block) and I know that it makes no sense, but try this and let us know. If you look at the service area of your local shop you will see that they are pumping water into the lower unit with a dual feed set of ear muffs and pumping water into the flush line at the same time, otherwise it overheats while servicing it out of the water.

Now I notice that you also have run it in the water and same results, oops! I would be looking closely at the water pump, housing, etc. If you have attempted to run that engine on just the washdown connection, beware that it will likely burn up the impeller. Just tossing some ideas out there for you.
          Doug
          Last edited by doug1377; 07-05-2013, 01:08 AM.

Comment

the F250 will idle fine for 5-10 minutes on the onboard flusher.
            any longer and I use two hoses and a set of muffs.

once water pump,pressure control valve and Tstats are eliminated its time to carefully inspect the exhaust stack.

Comment

Working...
            X