2003 90hp Trim Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 90hp Trim Motor

I have a 2003 90hp Yamaha (model #90TLRB) on a 17ft Sea Pro and the power trim motor appears shot and needs replacing. I tested the trim motor by by-passing the relay switch and connecting the blue and green wires (one at a time) directly to a positive battery lead. No sound came from trim motor so pretty certain it needs replacing.

There are 3 bolts that hold the trim motor in place. 2 are easy to get to with a socket but I can't figure out how to reach the 3rd bolt which is located behind the trim motor in a space too restricted to access. Can anyone advise how to remove the old trim motor and install a new one without having to remove entire engine?

Thanks!

you could just remove the bracket on that side. the other side will hold it up just fine. or you could just remove the unit from the bracket.

Comment

Someone on another site mentioned you can pull the entire trim/tilt assembly and then easily remove the trim motor and replace with new one. However, more than one person states this cannot be done on the Yam 90hp (2003) without removing entire engine. What is the easiest way to gain access to the 3rd bolt located behind the trim motor so it can be removed and replaced with a new one?

Comment

trim bolt

I have a 2001 90 Yamaha 2 stroke and a bunch of craftsman sockets, couldn't get anything to fit so I went to the Dollar Store and bought their cheap $7 socket set and the 10mm socket is a little shorter, I was able to get it in there and then use my 1/4 inch extension to get the bolt out. That's what worked for me. I was going to grind down a socket but this worked fine.

Hope this helps

Banjoman

Comment

apparantly you did not read what I wrote,, You could remove the bracket on that side..

Comment

Ended up lifting engine away from boat about a foot to gain access to 3rd bolt on the trim/tilt motor. Turns out it had completely rusted through on the back side. Replaced with a heavy duty ARCO motor (Part #ARC-6260) that has an even better warranty than Yamaha's which costs twice as much. Coated new motor with a 3M Rust Inhibitor so should be good to go for long time...

Comment

Working...
            X