Valve Stem Seal on Rocker bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Stem Seal on Rocker bolt?

Got into some heavy weeds this past weekend and heard a pop then the motor stopped and wouldn't start. After taking off the valve cover found the problem was the exhaust side push rod slipped off the rocker arm. Upon further inspection do to the resistance of the weeds it caused the valve stem seal that was on the bolt to mushroom which allowed the push rod to slip off.

My question is: Is that valve stem seal suppose to be there? Looking at the attached diagram it should not be there. I'm not the original owner and it's a Yamaha 2.5 Four Stroke.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Sorry I do not have an answer to you question on the seal, but what would make you think weeds would cause this problem with a push rod on the valves?

Comment

That's what it went through when it last ran. I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to operating an outboard. Are you saying that heavy weeds should never do this under any circumstances? It's a little 2.5HP motor...

Comment

weeds may block off the water intake and cause an overheat of a water cooled motor or wind up in prop so it can not push boat forward.
        But I see no way it would cause a problem with a push rod

Comment

Working...
        X