2001 250hp ox66 fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 250hp ox66 fuel consumption

Ok, i've had this engine for 4 years and know that it loves gas. I've tried not to pay attention but this weekend, I ran about 67 miles total over fairly flat water (winds less than 10 kts) and used 40 gallons of gas. The motor is on a Grady White 222 Fisherman that weights 3160 lbs (hull weight) and had a full tank (96 gallons) to start. The boat is kept on a lift and is clean. We had two men onboard and the run was pretty much steady at 3800 rpm, no stopping and starting. It seems to me that 's a lot of gas. is this normal??

Have you looked here to see if you can find a rig like yours to see what prop and performance they got out of it at different RPMs?
    Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards

Comment

2mpg = 80 miles.
      1mpg = 40 miles.

Sounds like you are getting over 1.5mpg out of your engine. What was the burn rate, when you first got the boat?

Comment

Yamaha performance

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Have you looked here to see if you can find a rig like yours to see what prop and performance they got out of it at different RPMs?
        Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards
        can't find one with this old technology

Comment

Originally posted by muskrat1 View Post
          2mpg = 80 miles.
          1mpg = 40 miles.

Sounds like you are getting over 1.5mpg out of your engine. What was the burn rate, when you first got the boat?
          don't know, never checked. just filled the tank.

Comment

I have twin 250 OX66 on my 30 Century cc I am lucky if I am making 1.2 mpg

TJ

Comment

MPG is a waste of math skills.
              totally useless, a teat on a boar hog.

typically that engine at about 3800 RPM will burn about 20 gallons of gas per hour.

its not your granny's grocery getter.
              its a very high performance two stroke that is run at full load all the time.
              bust it on up above about 4500 RPM and watch it burn about 25 gallons an hour.

Comment

Working...
              X