No power to prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to prop

Recently bought a used 2006 4 stroke. Went to lake and it wouldn't idle (clogged idle jet). I didn't know it, but when I sat in the back of the boat to start it, I had buried the prop in some rocks. When I couldn't get the boat to idle, I choked it a bit and with it idling a little high, I put it in reverse. Broke something.
    Got home and pulled the lower unit to find the clutch dog and pin retaining spring broken in 3 pieces. Ordered a carb rebuild kit and clutch dog and spring. Reassembled and have no power through the shaft to the prop.
    The gears work fine while turning the prop by hand but when I apply power with the motor (now running and idling great) I get nothing to the prop in forward or reverse.
    The splines at the top of the shaft look different than any I've seen before, they are not straight, but are spiral.
    I'm wondering if I also broke the top of the shaft in the crank, but the break must have been really clean and square. It looks like it was machined.
    I've never seen a Yamaha 9.9 or 15 drive shaft, so not sure if mine is the way it should be.
    Anybody got a picture of what a normal one would look like?
    How would I get the broken end of the shaft out of the motor?

Need help,
    Mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by atexaspete; 06-23-2013, 10:13 PM.

***, it is twisted right off, the rest of the shaft is still in the crank.. probably gonna have to pull the power head to get it out.. good luck

Comment

Thanks,
      You were right, of course, but never having seen an undamaged shaft, I had to ask and hope. I pulled the power head today and drilled a small hole in the broken end of the shaft (some really hard steel), installed a screw and pulled it out.
      Got a new shaft, impeller, some misc. "o" rings on order today and will be back on the water the day I get the new parts.
      One more question. I noticed some sticky (elastic-like) sealer (I think) on the gasket that goes between the oil pan and the bottom of the power head.
      Can I use another type of automotive sealant (like permatex) instead of that, or can I buy that type of sealant from a dealer?

Also, that gasket looks really great and would cost another $35. Anything wrong with re-installing the old one with the sealant mentioned above?

Thanks for your help,
      Mike
      Last edited by atexaspete; 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X