Throttle controls locks while in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle controls locks while in gear

I have a 1991 Yamaha 200 HP and recently had new carpet and upholstery installed in the boat ('91 KingFisher XL-196). The boat runs great; however, while in gear when I push the throttle control 3/4 way open it locks and I have to press the throttle control spring (red spring con*****ed handle under neath the grey handle) to engage the throttle to reduce speed. THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS... Yeah I know all of you are saying no kidding, man. The 703 remote looks to be in very good shape. No corrosion, damage, etc. What do you think could be the problem? Something wrong inside the 703 remote unit? Too much slack in the throttle/gear shift lines? Needless to say, I'm not going to run the boat until I restore it back to normal working conditions. Why would you say I added the detail of new carpet and upholstry? The gentlemen who installed it had to temporarily remove the 703 remote in order to install new upholsry on interior sidewalls of the hull. I figure more detail the better. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
    Last edited by fjderossette; 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM.

is the center bolt that holds the handle on loose, this handle is designed to to be aligned is several locations, it could be turning on the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by fjderossette View Post
      I have a 1991 Yamaha 200 HP and recently had new carpet and upholstery installed in the boat ('91 KingFisher XL-196). The boat runs great; however, while in gear when I push the throttle control 3/4 way open it locks and I have to press the throttle control spring (red spring con*****ed handle under neath the grey handle) to engage the throttle to reduce speed. THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS... Yeah I know all of you are saying no kidding, man. The 703 remote looks to be in very good shape. No corrosion, damage, etc. What do you think could be the problem? Something wrong inside the 703 remote unit? Too much slack in the throttle/gear shift lines? Needless to say, I'm not going to run the boat until I restore it back to normal working conditions. Why would you say I added the detail of new carpet and upholstry? The gentlemen who installed it had to temporarily remove the 703 remote in order to install new upholsry on interior sidewalls of the hull. I figure more detail the better. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
      How did you solve this problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoiha View Post
        is the center bolt that holds the handle on loose, this handle is designed to to be aligned is several locations, it could be turning on the shaft.
        I have the same problem.
        I belive the remote control throttle cable is too bended.
        Do you now the minimum radius of curvature admissible for this cable ?

The minimum diameter of curvature is 16 ft
        Last edited by jfchevalier; 08-15-2013, 10:57 AM. Reason: finding answer in 703 service manual

Comment

there is a semi -circle plastic bushing in the control box which might be broken and would be interfering with the locking mechanism its only 10.00 bucks

Comment

Working...
          X