concerned about waterpump install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concerned about waterpump install

I just changed the water pump in my 2006 115 four stroke. Although it took a small nucular blast to remove the stainless collar from the old plastic retainer, the new collar went on very easy on the new retainer. I bought the parts from a good Yamaha dealer and I'm sure the parts are correct but I'd like some feedback from another mechanic for reassurance sake.
    Mike

sometimes the collar is very difficult to remove, when you have done as many as I have we have our little tricks,, if you put the 3 washers on correctly, with the wave washer in the middle then the plastic lock ring then the lock collar, you should be fine.

Comment

That's what I did, I was just astounded by how easy the new one went on, not a push fit but with a light tap. Considering the force that it took to get the old one off it was a little disconcerting.
      Thanks
      Mike

Comment

the reason it is hard to get off, is the plastic collar is trying to come up with the steel ring thus locking it even harder on.. the idea is to use the old impellar cup as a prying point. take long handled needle nose pliers and catch just the edge of the steel ring and lift it right up,,

Comment

if you failed to pull UP on the drive shaft while seating the collar you wasted your money on the new collar.

its ONLY function is to eliminate low speed driveshaft bearing knock.

the knock is annoying but harmless.

Comment

Rodbolt
            What is the best way to seat the collar?

Dave
            Dire Straits
            Twin SX200 OX66

Comment

only correct way?
              pull up on the shaft and tap the collar down.

yes its simply that simple.

Comment

Thanks, Rodbolt

Dave
                Dire Straits
                Twin SX200 OX66

Comment

Working...
                X