Oil Plug Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Plug Gasket

High folks, I’m new to Yamaha 4 stroke outboards so please bear with me. I bought a new boat and outfitted it with two Yamaha outboards; an F90 TLR and an F9.9 LEA. I recently ordered several oil plug gaskets for each engine in preparation for when I perform my oil changes. I expected to receive something that looked like a copper washer—something that would “crush” when you tighten the oil plug. What I received looks like a regular washer, much like a common washer you can get at your local hardware store.
    I bought these gaskets from a reputable, certified Yamaha dealer, and the parts are in bags with Yamaha decals on them so they appear to be legitimate. So can someone put my mind at ease here? Are these a crushable washer? They do not appear to be copper, are they aluminum? Also, does anyone know if Yamaha specifies a torque specification for the oil plugs, and what the value(s) are for an F90 and F9.9?
    The manual is pretty clear about not reusing these gaskets and to install a new one every time you change the oil, but these do not look like any crushable gasket/washer that I have ever seen.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information you can provide.
    Attached Files

It appears to look like the soft aluminum oil gaskets from the Porsche that I use. Is it magnetic? well, will it attract to a magnet? I it heavy or light for its size?
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Do you have the part number?

Comment

Both washers do not appear to be magnetic.

One part number is 90430-14M09 and I believe this is the one for the 90 and the other part number is 90430-10M11 and should be for the 9.9.

Comment

I did some additional searching online and these appear to be the right parts. I'm guessing they don't use copper because of potential problems caused by dissimilar metals, but I'm not sure. Obviously I have a bit of a learning curve on my new equipment.

Thanks

Comment

yea, copper and alum do not go well together.
            a copper coin dropped in an aluminum boat will eat hole in the boat if you leave it there long enough

Comment

# 90430-14M09 on F90

1st pic part # 4
              2nd Pic part # 12

# 90430-10M11 must be for F9.9
              Last edited by almetelo; 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                yea, copper and alum do not go well together.
                a copper coin dropped in an aluminum boat will eat hole in the boat if you leave it there long enough
                I'm told extra careful with mercury, like from a thermometer. Will destroy an airplane if you break one in there.
                If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
                X