Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F50 4-stroke, gear shift rod, lower unit

I have = 2005 Yama 4-stroke F50....
    Trying to replace gear shift oil seal and housing.
    When I removed the old housing/w/ oil seal, the shaft came out also.
    Looking at the splines I figured all I had to do was to just stick it back down in there and all is good.
    However, when I do that, the shaft just turns freely, no click into reverse/neutral/ fwd. And I can feel the splines sliding in together.
    What am I doing wrong ????
    Tx Yu .......

Well thanks a lot folks ! ! ! !
    After paying $145.00 I got it figured out ! ! ! !
    Pretty simple trick ! ! ! !
    You want to know ??????
    Send me $145.00 ! ! ! ! ! !

Comment

I would have done it for 90 bucks.

its incredibly simple.
      I can reseal the entire case in about 3 hours.
      less if I hustle.

Comment

Well, from now on, I'll do it for FREE ! ! ! ! ! !

Comment

And by the way ...........
          Woopie-do for you ! ! ! !
          I thought this forum was for DIY'rs to get some help ?????
          You sir = ********

Comment

looks like someone needs a nap this afternoon.

A service manual goes a long way in helping people to work on their own stuff.

keeps them from having to depend on someone else reading and answering their questions when they need simple info

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              looks like someone needs a nap this afternoon.

A service manual goes a long way in helping people to work on their own stuff.

keeps them from having to depend on someone else reading and answering their questions when they need simple info
              If it was an easy fix, not getting a response for a week is indeed, not very helpful...

If I knew, I would have chimed in...

If anyone else knew, a response would have been nice IMHO...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

cause I fix boats for a living and have for about the last 24 years.
                I work in 90+* heat all day, I also have a life.
                therefore I don't always get online.
                I am certified and trained for warrenty repairs on Volvo,mercruiser and a master technician for Yamaha repairs.
                I spend an average of 4 weeks a year,I pay all costs, in schools to remain current.

sorry I don't see all posts.
                but it is a free website and I receive nothing for my inputs.

Comment

to rodbolt

Is that area of the lower end, where the shift rod slides up and down.. one of the locations where cooling system water flows out? I hooked up my 2007 Yamaha 6 hp f6msh to the hose and noted all flushing passages. Water was flowing out of that area. Do I have a blown seal??
                  Last edited by callmaker; 06-28-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    cause I fix boats for a living and have for about the last 24 years.
                    I work in 90+* heat all day, I also have a life.
                    therefore I don't always get online.
                    I am certified and trained for warrenty repairs on Volvo,mercruiser and a master technician for Yamaha repairs.
                    I spend an average of 4 weeks a year,I pay all costs, in schools to remain current.

sorry I don't see all posts.
                    but it is a free website and I receive nothing for my inputs.
                    I wasn't picking on you. I know your about the most knowledgable person (and marine mechanic here). I've personally learned alot from you and this website and thank you for it.

There are other SENIOR folks that often chime in and help, but in this case, nothing. Perhaps everyone was busy, they have lives too.

Was the posters 2nd nasty post necessary, absolutly NOT, but I can see his frustration.

I visit here on occassion as I do have a F150, but spend most of my time on several Yamaha motorcycle forums (as motorcycles are my specialty).

I'll work on anything powered by gas (or electric for that matter), motorcycles, mowers, two strokes, weedeaters, name it, I'll tackle it.. Admittedly, I've been around OB's for years but this is my first 4 stroke and Yamaha doesn't particularly make it shade tree mechanic friendly. I do have the shop manual on paper and a PDF file which helps alot but of course doesn't address other motors. Carb issues are pretty much the same on most smaller engines and OB's, I'm comfy posting re those.

There are usually short cuts with just about any engine/procedure (as posted above), passing along this short cuts are such a BIG HELP when needed obviously.

Once again, my post wasn't aimed at you, there are others here that may have been able to help. (I don't know what the fix was/is but could have likely figured it out with it in front of me but of course that's not possible).

Scott
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

its not in front of me either but I know the problem.
                      the shift cam is splined AND spring loaded.
                      when the shaft was withdrawn the cam shifts fwd.
                      only way to reset it is remove the propshaft.

and this is why I am not a jack of all trades.
                      I used to be but found out better ways to make a living.

Yamaha outboards are incredibly simple and user friendly.
                      from the F350 all the way down to the f2.5.
                      from the 2hp to the Z300.
                      simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X