Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear selector problems 85Hp 2 stroke

Hi, Can anyone help

I have a old 85 Hp 3cyl premix 2 stroke which has developed a gear selection problem.

The initial symptom was loss of reverse but then the neutral point moved towards the reverse position. I have checked the cables and they are fine.

The problem appears to be between the upper selector shaft and the lower part in the gearbox. I have gripped the selector shaft where it is visible on the leg with a mole grip and given it a twist and this seems to have reset the position temporarily but my sense is that something is slipping in the linkage.

Have even wondered if the shaft is rusting through and is twisting

Can anyone suggest what is happening and how to fix

I'm having the same issue with the same motor. From what I've gathered, it's the clutch dog in the gear case.

Comment

in salt water areas it typically indicates the shaft is rusting away,

Comment

Thanks

From what I have seen so far once the gear is selected then its Ok and does not jump out.

Hence I am not convinced that the gear dog is damaged

However the gear selector shaft is very rusted and hence I can believe that the shaft is rusting away and very prone to twisting

Question is now ...can I get a replacement and how do I replace it

It looks like I have to take the power head off in order to pull the selector shaft upwards.

Is this correct or is there an easier way to replace it.

How does the upper selector shaft engage with the lower part that goes into the gearbox ..I have been told that it is a splined shaft ... is that correct.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
        X