Water pump rebuild Yamaha 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump rebuild Yamaha 90

I have 125 hrs. on my engine and I was told that I need to rebuild the water pump. I saw a segment on ship shape tv but it was on a merc. Can anyone give me a run down on the procedure for the rebuild?

Dave,
    Get yourself a Yamaha shop manual (go to www.yamahapubs.com to order online) and a water pump repair kit (get from boats.net - sponsor of this forum). You need the manual to guide you along and boats.net has good prices. Basic steps are as follows:
    1 - drain lower unit oil (if it has not been changed in the last year, now is a good time to do it.
    2 - disconnect speedo tube bullet connection
    3 - remove trim tab (cavitation plate rear) - there is a hidden bolt under it, I believe.
    4 - loosen the rest of the lower unit bolts and tilt the motor at about 30 degrees to allow drive shaft to clear ground.
    5 - remove rest of bolts and drop lower unit.
    6 - disassemble water pump.
    7 - install new kit - apply thin film of marine grease to impeller and make sure fingers bend away from direction of rotation. Also, apply thread sealer (I use Permatex 14A) to housing bolts.
    8 - Apply marine grease to drive shaft spines and reinstall lower unit. Best to have two people do this - one to hold lower unit in place and another to line up the water pump tube and the gear shift rod, and thread the speedo hose back thru the upper casing. Make sure the gear shift rod of the lower unit is in neutral, and that the remote control is in neutral.
    9 - reinstall the lower unit bolts - be sure to use a thread sealer.
    10 - install the trim tab.
    11 - refill the lower unit with oil.
    If you have trouble getting the lower unit to go that last half inch, then check the shift rod again for neutral position and rotate the drive shaft just a little to get the splines to line up with the crank.
    Ok, that should just about do it - I'm sure I have left something out - that's why you need that Yamaha manual [img]smile.gif[/img] !!!
    1-14-06: Add two more steps to the above - remove the prop as step #1 (you need to do this at least once a year anyway to check for fishing line wrapped around shaft and to regrease the prop/shaft splines; follow recommended torque specs on the water pump and lower unit bolts.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Try this link. It has step by step with photos.
      http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/ze...d=95434&page=1

Comment

Working...
      X