Yamaha 70HP Cold Start Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 70HP Cold Start Issues

Hi, Ive got a problem with my 70HP 1st start when I go out boating. After almost draining the battery from struggling to start (sounds like motor not getting any petrol in cylinders almost), it suddenly coughs, next turn of the key it starts. It smokes heavily (almost like it was flooded perhaps), and only 2 cylinders fire at first for a few seconds till the 3rd kicks in and then it runs properly after that. After it ran for a while it seems to start with a quarter turn of the key every time, running on all 3 cylinders. I know the carbs have been serviced by an agent recently, and the compression is 100%. Ive also have a 115HP Yamaha 2 stroke and starts on 2nd turn of the key every time!

This is how id normally try and start the 70hp:

Ensure feul line primed with inline pump, choke while turning the key, and sometimes use the idler lever aswell instead of choke, or sometimes together.

70hp Carbs, only choke button on 703 remote (Butterfly choke with solenoid, no primer)

Ive recently replaced a few parts on this 70hp motor:

Gearbox seals and bearings overhaul
    New Waterpump housing, impellor and gaskets
    New Feulpump
    New Sparkplugs

Can someone please help or maybe suggest what else needs to be done on fixing this matter??
    17FT Baronet Cabin Boat, Yamaha 115 AE 2 Stroke
    15FT Sabre Speedboat, Yamaha 70 BET 2 Stroke

Check that have fire on all cylinders, check choke plates are closing completly when choke is on.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply, motor working fine. All I did was set the air screws properly and synced my 3 intake butterflies, starts in 3 seconds now!!
      17FT Baronet Cabin Boat, Yamaha 115 AE 2 Stroke
      15FT Sabre Speedboat, Yamaha 70 BET 2 Stroke

Comment

Working...
      X