Why "o" Why ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why "o" Why ??

I do about one Yamaha service a day. every keyway I have to grind down to fit, and from the bottom side of the impeller I have to grind a little, without touching the top (of impeller)to slide down the drive shaft that I polish and us a light oil on before install the impeller !!! and about 1/3 of any model/horse pwr has a melted pump housing on top of the "cup"... I now also tell my guys to go to the ramp and bury the transom, and start with a quick jab on ignition...any clues as to why these units are so tight ??
    Last edited by bajakeith; 05-14-2013, 08:30 PM. Reason: bad writing

Big question is how long have the keys been in place before you try to remove them.
    I would think that if they were only in 1 or 2 years they would come out Ok

But as you I file them down some before installing

Comment

dunno.
      I watch some of my fellow techs fight them.
      its very rare I do.

I have modified a chiesel specifically for key removal.

I use a 32oz ball peen and my tool.

I smack the bottom of the key in ,holding the chiesel horizontal.

then I place the dulled chiesel vertical and drive the key down and out.

if you do it for a living,learn not to fight it.

make that tool.

Comment

tight fit

Sir rodbolt,, that's more or less what I do myself....I have got it down pat !! but still think Yamaha should address this pain in the ass issue,, for what they get in cash for their parts,, one would think that they would fit better IMO...Of the 1000's of pumps I have done over the years,, I would say the yamaha's are a Tight fit !!

Comment

tight fit?
          insanely tight fit?
          it is what it is.

I dont see it changing anytime soon.
          same as the E fuels and the filter cups.

Comment

new EPA portable tanks

Last weekend a kid started his outboard to have it then die..after I was done working on the boat behind at the dock I walked over and saw the new EPA portable tank and fuel line ....what a JOKE !!! ran up to my trusty Volvo (240) and set him up with a new sierra fuel line and bulb,,new barbed 3/8 fitting in tank and used mercury connector.....coulpe squeezes' and ran great !! kid works at Worst Marine and had only use the system for a few hrs....YIKES !! Yet another BAD Joke for us boaters !!!

Comment

Bad joke?
              stupid joke?
              however its illegal to use a non EPA compliant hose and tank on engines newer than about jan 01 2010.

however I did see an inline regulator that will reduce the fuel line pressure due to the 5PSI relief vent.

Comment

Working...
              X