Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wires ???

Hi,
    I've looked through the previous posts to no avail. Maybe someone can help. Not long had the boat and still finding my way around. On the old electric start 20 HP 2 stroke Yamaha (No. 20A 653S 00809) there are a pair of red wires coming from under the flywheel connected to nothing. I've bought a new battery and the engine starts and stops on 2 remote "Push" buttons/switches ok.

I've followed all the wires to and from the switches, the engine and the battery and it all seems to make sense. But the question is - Is anything charging the battery and what are these red wires? I tried the multi meter on them with the engine running and got a DC voltage of 4 -5 volts at tickover and rising as I increased the engine revs. On AC scale I'm getting a steady 12 Volts + on these wires

Can I use this output to charge the battery? If so do I need a rectifier? And if yes are they still available

Sorry for so many questions on the first post but, any help would be appreciated.

regards

frank

Hi.

I have a 20A manual start. I think the wires are for a lighting system of battery chargeing sircuit, if you dont have a rectifer and need one the part number is 648-81970-40.

Comment

Thanks Clive

Can I ask have you any idea of the charging rate of this coil in Amps.

Also where do you get spares form for the 20A. I'm in Nottingham, UK and a local Yamaha dealer doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in this "old" engine

regards

frank

Comment

Frank :
        try this site inn holland..
        http://www.buitenboord.com/
        you can get it in englisch /german and dutch(just hit the flag..)
        they have lots of spare parts for the older 20A ect....payments also by PAY-PAL and shipping abroard....
        greetings:
        jan

Comment

P/S
          i have the same motor (20AE)...will look tomorrow for the wires!

Comment

the red wires are connected to the 2 red/gray cables that comes out of the inner cable-harnass..
            its hard to see but possilble connected to the rectifier...

Comment

Thanks ressiv

Yes thats what I believe It's just that mine don't connect to anything and its that rectifier I need. I'm having problems finding one in England - Most keep sucking their teeth and telling me its an old engine Hahaha I know that !!!!

Thanks

frank

Comment

frank:
                the rectifiers are for sale in the shop i posted a few replies earlier!
                http://www.buitenboord.com/product_i...roducts_id/285
                greetings:
                jan

Comment

Working...
                X