Question for Rodbolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Rodbolt

Concerning anti siphon valves, in another you mentioned that the valve come in different opening points.
    I have a flats boat with fuel hose that only drops 4 to 6" below the top of the tank then comes up 1' to the water sep. filter.

The anti siphon valve on it is the generic one you find at most boat supply outlets.

I would like to find the information on ones that are calabrated more to my setup and where to buy the right one.

Thanks
    Last edited by Bilge Rat; 04-29-2013, 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling

not to be rude to SIR rodbolt

yes,,with some work,time and effort you can get them from CFR certified tank builders...but why bother ???? if you are using the correct fuel line and double clamps with a dap of triple guard on the less than s/s screw or the correct curved nylon tie wraps that are hard to find for the ave joe,,,,most techs remove the barbed valve and take a small drift thru the threaded side and bang out the ball,spring and retaining collar.....this A/S valve can cause a lean WOT mixture and and also rust inside on the ball....a outboard dosnt need this valve,, say as a inboard or I/O would want for a safety factor......MYSELF...don't like them....IMO............

Comment

I dont "like" them either, HOWEVER the USCG and the BIA says we MUST have them IF any section of the fuel system drops BELOW the top(liquid) level of the gasoline tank.

its not ME that requires it its the LAW.

its supposed to not only protect YOU but other boats and boaters moored around you.

as the the question, call moeller or tempo or seachoice.
      all have a tech line.

the formula for the drop pressure is in the USCG website as well as the BIA website.

whether you run one or not is up to you.

Comment

Thanks i will check there.
        I want to run one for safety. I just want to run the one that does the job with the least flow restriction.
        Having been on an I/O where the blower failed at the fuel dock and having the dogbox hitting me in the back of the legs from the explosion i want my rig safe.
        I do a little boat wiring and refit on smaller boats and years of cars, dirt track race car building and machine maintaince and now trying to learn more about the EFI outboards.
        Thanks for the info on here, i enjoy learning.

Someone mentioned the ty wraps for fuel line being hard to find. I have gotten them from Mcmaster-Carr.

Comment

fuel line tie locks

I get from my supply ware house part #320107....made in the usa,, but no brand name ??...and its true that the boat owners leave boat at the pump for his buddy to fill er up while he runs up and gets the bait,,beer,,hooks and pays for the gas......jumps back on boat to get out to the "HOT BITE" hits the the key and BOOM !!! thru gunnel rod holders do look like gas fillers,,,don't they !!! the CFR standards for ign. spark testing is really good for marine cert....but,,, shit happens....never,,never buy a part for that chevy 350.... merc,volvo,omc (whatever) from a auto parts store......marine motor parts cost more for a DAMN good reason...

Comment

for fuel lines I use the radius head ties from BRP or Mercury.

as to I/O bombs.
            got on one last week.
            had a car altenator, car reman starter, a automotive 2bbl holley with no fuel pump diaphram vent hose.
            the pump hose was laying on the intake cause the carb had no fitting for it.
            it also had an HEI distributer from a mid 70's to mid 80's GM.

the kicker?
            NO bilge blower.
            not an inoperable blower,NO blower.

after telling the customer what it would cost to make it USCG compliant JUST so I could work on it, he got huffy and left.

its currently at one of the local jackleg shops.

Comment

My local Yamaha shop uses the regular ty wraps, that is why i had to find the proper ones elsewhere.
              If i am going to do something i remember an old engine builder friend of mines motto, " if you are going to do it do it right or not at all"

That is why i ask questions here, to get answers from people who know how to do it right.

I/Os are bombs! Gas in a box, diesels are ok but from my experence 30yrs ago i will not get aboard one without looking in the dogbox first. Rebuilt a few marine carbs they are a pain but the idiots that don't want to pay for a good marine carb are living on borrowed time. You can spot them by looking for a fire extingusher, they think it is an option on a boat!!!

Comment

Working...
              X