Need Help with outboard motor please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with outboard motor please.

I have a 1990 Yamaha 130 ETLDA that was run on ethanol fuel for a short period of time before the ethanol broke down the old fuel lines and caused total shut down. After resolving these issues by dumping the fuel, replacing all fuel and oil lines, oil pump, oil tank, changing the fuel pump, installing a kit in the carburetors and staying away from ethanol fuel this motor's performance was like a new motor for a short period of time. Then the motor started experiencing performance problems such as sluggish out of the hole starts & lack of top end speed. These problems disappeared for a short of time, but then returned and have not gone away for the last few years. It also burns more oil (which is injected) than it has in the past. This motor starts instantly at the turn of the key with no miss or sputter at all. If anyone can help resolve this problem it would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance SWAMP RAT

Start with the basics.
    It has been a few years,
    when were the fuel filters replaced?
    Check plugs, do they look the same, burning the same?
    Good spark voltage on each plug and timing
    Good battery and clean connections.
    Good clean fresh fuel.
    Primer bulb, does it get firm?
    Look for leaks, corrosion on electrical connections etc, anything that jumps out at you that looks bad.

From what you described it sounds fuel/carb related.

See what is working properly to narrow down what is not.

Comment

Information not mention in intial request

Everything you mentioned has been replaced, plugs are changed every year, fuel filter is changed a few times each year.
      One probably crucial bit of information that I failed to mention is during the clean up process after the total shut down from ethanol I broke three needle screws off inside the carburetors. I drilled the broken needle screws out with a one thirty second bit, and replaced with new.
      I also performed a compression check on this motor, which revealed 150psi on the top cylinders and 140psi on the bottom cylinders. Three of the four pistons looked oily, the fourth less oily piston is the needle screw that I did not break.

Thanks Again in advance
      Swamp Rat

Comment

If you have good spark the excess oil may be from being lean on fuel.

The carbs may need cleaning again. The crud in the gas gets in everywhere and some was still making it's way thru the system.

Clean carbs adjust float levels and make sure the carbs are in sync.
        Check fuel pump for leaks.
        If it ran good for a while something changed

Run non E gas

Comment

Your information about the basics proved to be the simple fix I needed.
          I found a partially kinked fuel line between the fuel filter and the fuel pump,
          replaced with a longer fuel line performance problem has gone away.

Thanks so much, your help is deeply appreciated...

Swamp Rat

Comment

Working...
          X