X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150HP 1990 tach connection and tach function

Hello:

New engine for me.

The tach does not work. I suspect a wiring issue and want to check the continuity of the wire from the tach to the engine (green wire?).

I cannot find where the tach wire is on the engine. The seloc manual says controlbox but is very unclear. Is there a connection at the controlbox at the helm (gearshift/throttle)? I guess the neutral safety switch is there.

Also, any tips to see if the tach is working. When the engine runs there is no current at the tach.

Thanks

you should have 3 flat harnesses going to motor, just find the tach harness and test

Comment

green tach signal wire is inside main 10 pin harness and connects to stator or CDI unit on engine depending on model of motor.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

150 yamaha tach checking at helm

I am still puzzled after checkiing for tach hookup at engine.

How do I check for voltage at the tach itself? What should it be and should it change with RPM?

Is there a tach hookup at the engine? It is a electronic ignition engine. 1990 150HP yamaha.

Thanks!

Comment

i have had the same problem i fixed mine after checking my wiring i found it to be an earth wire problem. im not saying yours is but its worth checking out

Comment

Tach Issues remain!

Hi Again:

I checked the engine again, still puzzled.

1) The two small gauge wires on the back of the tach are green and black, the green goes to a green wire but the black goes to a yellow one. The other wires are for a light and idiot lights. I believe yellow is switched ON power. I would think this black wire should go to a ground?

2) I cannot find a green wire at the engine itself to check for continuity, any suggestions where?

3) How can I check for current/signal at the tach itself with the engine running? Can i hook up a car tach?

4) How do I check to see if the engine alternator is working?

5) Is there a tach hookup at the engine (electronic ignition).

Thanks!!

M

Comment

Working...
            X