Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two yamaha outboards 9.9

hello everyone

i just purchased two used 9.9 yamaha outboards. i also belong to baylinerclub similiar to this one and for 10 years learned so much on my volvo penta and outdrive. im sure i will find out alot from here as well!!!

I need info more so on this one particular motor, cant find model number anywhere, unless it was manufactured for different market then US. i will get into details about trying to get them started later.

the outdrive model number is ft9.9AEH- motor 1
    the other is f9.9MLH -motor 2

no yesterday i hook them both up, didnt have muffs thought just wanted to see if they start. use motor 1 and motor 2 as differentiating them.

motor2 started up after fwe pulls. didnt have a problem running in its ownfow 5 seconds. gonna get muffs and run them more.

the guy said on motor 1 there was a carb issue but he didnt really know what. the motors look identically as far as parts and setup. i took aprt the carb and slowly pulled it off and saw something red like a tub or wire, i was nervous becasue i thought it was a wire! i never saw a wire run through the carb on any motor. i finally pulled it off and there was a red tube( the tube from can of wd40 spray it was stuck in the throttle body flapper. i thought this has to be why its not stsrting. btw i did try to start it before and only stsrted when i sprayed ether in the vent of carb. just bogged out. put the carb back and still same thing no start.

then i swapped carb from motor 2 because its the same one. thinking if that one works if should work on motor 1. still the same thing. its not starting on its own unless i spray ether. im going to put motor 1 carb in motor 2 and see what happens, if it runs then i know its not a carb issure!

any help would be appreciated. would these two motors use the same part numbers? since i cant find anything on motor 1..

thank you
    joe

Need to run a compression and leak down test on engine. Check that fuel is getting to carb.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

i have a compression tester and going to do it now, also dumped out the shitty gas the guy had for three years put new gas in tank. bought muffs hooked her up and it started with bogging out. sounds little rough i think, trying to find the specs on the carb. i poiut new gas filter and plugs. this is the carb from the other motor i swapped. its running so its great so far!! water pumping out.

do you know the lbs should be for compression?

Comment

Both cylinders should be even, no more than 10% difference.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

i took apart the carb and the bowl was all gummed up, cleaned it all up, also the pin where the float attached to was stuck. took it ouit and cleaned inside the hole, now the hole goes up and down with the float. i will be testing it out tomorrow morning. im pretty sure this was the problem why it wasnt starting. would i be right in my guess?

thanks
          joe

Comment

Originally posted by coogeen68 View Post
            now the hole goes up and down with the float.
            Never seen a hole go up and down before so who knows if that was your problem

Comment

hi

ok, i cleaned up the carb and the old diaphragm was dried out, when i put it back on it started to leal gas. so no go!!! bought the parts, also needed spring, washer the attaches to the diarrhea plate on bottom. hooked the up yesterday and it rund pretty good. after idling for five minutes it just bogged down, did that few times, i adjusted some of the screws, idle and screw on top which dont know what it really works but it did the trick. the only thing i didnt change on the motor was the fuel filter, im thinking maybe it wasnt getting enough fuel. should the filter be completely full when running or kindof just flowing less then half way? when it was bogging down i pumped the bulb and it didn't die now im so happy i bought these two motors.

if anyone lives in ny near middletown, orange county or westchester county, i, looking to sell it now. i did a all the necessary maintence items, email me coogeen68@gmail.com

joe

Comment

Working...
              X