200 hp ox66 ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 hp ox66 ticking

Ticking is appearent at low rpms coming from the upper starboard cylinder rear. Pulled the plug wire off that cylinder (while still running) and noise goes away. Wrist pin or o2 problem? I'm assuming wrist pin.....
    Read that you can check play by sticking a dowl through plug hole.
    Should this be my next step? thanks

if the O2 sensor draw tube is clogged from excessive maint it ticks just like a wrist pin.
    you can tell at dissasembly cause it will be plugged and the ends shiney from banging back and forth.

Comment

Even though that is the only cylinder that the noise goes away when I pull a plug wire?

Comment

It has to feed off of a cylinder maybe it is that one.
        Have a look and see if that is your problem, can't hurt to look

Comment

Thanks, will do, let you know what I find.

Comment

rodbolt17,

VX150TLRY, 150HP OX66 year 2000. I hear a ticking noise occasionally, at low RPM's. Sounds like fuel injectors, but that's only a guess. Your comment about a clogged O2 sensor draw tube got me to thinking. As I said, this happens only on occasion. Otherwise motor seems to run fine. What should I have my servicing dealer look for?

TIA,

Jeff

Comment

ox INJECTORS ARE AT THE FRONT.

The O2 sensor is on the #1 cyl on the side of the block with a hole thats drilled through the cyl sleeve.

Comment

rodbolt17,

Thanks for the response. Is it normal/common to have fuel injectors tick at low RPM's? The sound I hear sure seems to be coming from the front of the engine, not the rear. Also, thanks for the "education."

Jeff

Comment

depends on your ears.
                  I can usually hear them at low RPM.
                  my co worker cannot.
                  at idle the injectors make a steady ticking noise.
                  they are solinoids.

Comment

rodbolt17,

Thanks for the response. That's what I believe I'm hearing. Not all the time, and only at idle. Motor really purrs.

Last summer I got it up to 58 MPH on a Glastron SSV170. Usually chine walks before I get near that speed. We bought the boat for skiing mainly, so 55+ MPH isn't "necessary." What impressed me most at the 58MPH speed was the sound of the motor - sounded like it was unleashed, and it liked it <g>.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X