2003 90HP Mod#90TLRB - Warning Buzzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 90HP Mod#90TLRB - Warning Buzzer

I have a 2003 Yam 90hp on a 17ft Sea Pro. Something’s up with warning buzzer system and it’s been this way since I bought the boat. The engine runs good, there’s no issue with overheating, and I also keep the oil in the reservoir topped off. I believe it may be the low oil sensor based on the troubleshooting I’ve done below, but not sure where the oil sensor is to test or replace...

Troubleshooting Performed: There is a grey wire with a male/female bullet connection that has been disconnected by the prior owner (see pics 3 and 4 attached). This is located along and near the wiring harness. When it is connected with the ignition on, the warning buzzer sounds and continues to sound even after the engine is started. When disconnected there is no warning buzzer. Leaving the grey wire connected and the buzzer sounding, I disconnected the Overheat Sensor bullet connections but the buzzing sound continued. So I don’t think it’s the Overheat Senor.

I’ve simply left this grey wire disconnected and the engine runs good without the buzzing. But I am concerned that if my engine ever does start to overheat or the oil reservoir gets too low, I won’t receive a warning. Therefore, I want to correct this issue…

Additional Troubleshooting: There’s also a small black cylinder shaped capacitor/diode with 2 grey wires (male and female bullet connections - see pics 1 and 2 attached). One wire connects to a single pink wire that I think goes to the Overheat Sensor. The other wire connects to both a pink and grey wire that I suspect leads to the Oil warning sensor (??). Disconnecting either one of the 2 wire connections from this capacitor/diode stopped the warning buzzer. But when I bypassed the capacitor/diode altogether and connected the single pink wire to the pink and grey wire combo, the warning buzzer sounded again. [Note: Stamped on the capacitor/diode was Stanley DE64 on one end, and the number 2215Y1 was printed on the side. It was bound in black electrical tape]. I don’t see this part listed anywhere in the wiring diagram for the 2003 90TLRB and not sure what it does, or if it could be the problem. But if it was the problem I don’t think the warning buzzer should continue after bypassing it…

Questions: Does this sound like a problem with the Low Oil Sensor, Overheat Sensor, the small capacitor/diode, or something else? Where is the Low Oil Sensor connected and how can I test if this is the problem? Also, what is the capacitor/diode and where can I find one to replace if this is the problem?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Files

leave the alarm blocking diode alone.
    leave the gray bullet connectors alone and dissconected.
    not used on your application.

there is NO self test key on feature on that application.
    system seems to have been working before you started playing with wires.

Comment

Please clarify...

Rodbolt...

Thanks for your input. You state the grey wire should remain disconnected... not used in my application - what application is it used for? How do I know if low oil sensor is working or for that matter, the overheat alarm? Shouldn't the warning buzzer sound when the ignition key is on, then go off once the engine is started? Please advise.

Thanks,
      Brian

Comment

From what he said it does not self test when key is turned on.

easy test of oil system\
        drain oil tank into a clean jug to save it if there is no water or sludge and turn key on. it should alarm and start refilling with oil.

over temp should be pulling wire off temp switch and grounding it to block, that should set off temp alarm

I would think these would be in service manual

Comment

any and all alarms on your engine use the same horn,same tone.

at the risk of sounding stupid Ill repeat.
          there are NO self tests at key on.

why worry about a low oil alarm>
          simply top off the tank before each use and you have enough oil for about 50 gallons of gas.

Comment

Thank you "99Yam40" for explaining how to test that the overheat and low oil sensors are working. Although "Rodbolt" says not to worry about the oil sensor and just keep oil tank filled, there are times I've forgotton to top it off. I don't want to chance running it dry so I think it's important the low oil warning sensor is working properly and will test it as well as the overheat sensor as you've recommended.

I don't have the service manual for the 03 Yam 90TLRB, but just learned it (and others) can be downloaded for free in a .pdf format from the following Yamaha website:

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner...owners-manuals
            Last edited by CaptBrian33; 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM. Reason: Better site for downloading Yam service manuals

Comment

I thought You could look at owners manuals on line, but cannot download.

And you will have to order the Yamaha service manual, and that is one you really need

Comment

It seems you can download owner's manual as a .pdf file, but it will not print out for some reason. But like you say, the Yamaha "service" manual is really what is needed for detailed step-by-step instructions and diagrams on repairing and servicing the motor...

Comment

those what rely on alarmins get power headums.

after you pop the switch out 3 or 4 times I will warrentry it will leak when tilted.

like I say,top it up at every fillup and dont sweat it.

Comment

unless you are running a very large fuel tank Rodbolt17's advice is a very good one. Get in the habit of topping up oil all the time.

But as you said it is good to know everything works as it should, just do not depend only on the buzzer to sound for the health of motor. Just as a back up if it some how ends up leaking out between fill ups maybe

Comment

Working...
                    X