Oil tank sensor problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil tank sensor problem

Motor is a 2001 200 hpdi trlz with about 500 hours and well maintained.

Original problem was what seemed like a bad main tank oil sensor (oil overflowing) so I bought and installed a new one (yes, I installed a new foam washer). It seemed fine for about 10 hours of running and then I noticed the tank was overflowing in to the air intake. I pulled the sensor and inspected it with no apparent problems visible. Reinstalled it and it ran for 1/2 hour on the hose while I watched, and level remained between the markers.

Yesterday I ran the boat for about 2 hours and pulled the cowl at the end of the day to find the level is high....almost to the overflow hose level.

I'm confident the sensor is installed properly and it fits in the "notch" just fine at the top, and is snuggly in place. I thoroughly cleaned the tank before installation.

Any ideas? What else could possibly be the problem?

Thank you in advance~

look carefully at the baffle the sensor sits into, ive seen these installed improperly and had a slight twist to them causing the float to hang up,,

Comment

Thanks for your reply Sequoiha. Please tell me what the baffle is as I'm not familiar with the description.

Thank you~

Originally posted by Sequoiha View Post
      look carefully at the baffle the sensor sits into, ive seen these installed improperly and had a slight twist to them causing the float to hang up,,

Comment

baffle= screen.
        the screen must be properly installed to allow air to vent as the oil level increases.
        if not the float wont raise.

if transfer wont stop then check wire connetors.

Comment

Thank you.....I'll pull the sensor and check it out. The wire connector is properly installed and the contacts look fine.

Comment

SUCCESS!! I bought and got a new baffle (screen) and replaced the old one which was original to the 2001 motor, and some of the screen sections were distorted just enough to the inside that the sensor float apparently hung up on them, which kept it from rising and consequently signaled the remote oil pump to keep pumping.

Thanks so much Sequoia and Rodbolt for your expertise and help!

Comment

Working...
            X