Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Yamaha 150 will not stay running...help

Hi all,
    I have a Yamaha 150 2 stroke. For the past few months the engine would bog down when run at high rpm's. I figured the carbs needed to be cleaned, but just never got around to it. I tried to start it a couple days ago and nothing. I get it to turn over but only after I've choked it a few times and have the throttle down about half way. It will run rough for a bit then slowly die. I took the carbs off, cleaned (were not bad ) and rebuilt with new gaskets. I changed the battery, checked the spark plugs. Changed the fuel pumps, the primer ball gets nice a tight. I took the fuel filter off and found a small amount of water. I do not have a water separator, but the amount of water was very small and have never had a problem with it before. I tried to start it on a remote gas tank thinking the problem could be with the boats gas tank, but got the same results. I'm all out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

check compression , spark, and timing to start out with to make sure those are good

Comment

I checked the spark, it was all good. While taking out the plugs, a few beads of water were on all six of them. I'm not mechanic, but I know this can't be good. Anyone know what could cause this?

Comment

I would do as 99yam40 guy says. Check compression. But it sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Worse case cenario, busted block. But sounds like a blown head gasket. Is this a motor used primarily in saltwater? Did you completly disassemble the carbs, soak them over night, and then blown them out with compressed air?

Comment

clean better that carbs, disassemble the whole parts of it..

Comment

if you see water, check separator and motor filter, then if ok, pull head
            no separator... bad
            Last edited by jb123; 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

It does sound like your carbs need to be taken apart and cleaned. If you are using E10 gas then I would start with a complete cleaning of the carbs first. You can use a compression gage to check the head gasket but I leaning towards your first thought.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help. I did take the carbs out, disassemble, clean and rebuild with all new gaskets. I just ordered a compression gauge. As soon as it gets here I'll check that. After all the research I've done, I'm leaning toward a blown head gasket.

Comment

If you have water inside that motor there will be rust forming in places that are not good

Comment

in this case i would do a leak down test,,

Comment

Working...
                    X