motor starts but than dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor starts but than dies

I have an outboard Yamaha 50hp motor for my boat. The motor will start right up with no problem, than it dies. It also runs high just fine, but when I bring the throttle down to run the motor on idle, it dies. I thought it may be because of bad gas, but i changed the gas and ran it for a while, but it is doing the same thing. There is plenty of oil in the engine. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem last summer and after trying all the magical sprays and cleaners, it came down to cleaning the carbs. It's easy to do but somewhat overwhelming when suggested. Just take one carb at a time and blow out the jets and airways with a good carb cleaner. Reassemble and when done with all of them(3) check your gas filter as well. The only area of concern is when you remove the linkage arm from the carbs, so take your time. Maybe take some pics before you start. If your careful, you won't have to buy any gaskets as they come apart quite easily. Good luck!

Comment

Test compression, spark, and timing.
      If all that is good then work on the fuel problem,
      which is normally the jets/passages plugging.
      Pull and clean all of them well and then follow the link and sync procedure in service manual after reinstalling carbs

Would be a good idea to make sure fuel pump diaphragm doe not have a pin hole or tear, leaking fuel into #3 crankcase also

Comment

i cleaned the carbs and just kept running it with good gas and now it seems to work. hopefully it continues to work, now i need to take it out more

Comment

Working...
        X