Binding tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding tilt

I have twin 150 HPDIs I had installed a couple of years ago. Not right away but after about a year I started getting a squeal when tilting one motor and soon the other started. I've always greased the fittings and checked the fluid. Now the squeal is very loud and the motors don't always move in either direction. The motor pivots on a long bolt with a self-locking nut on the starboard side and that seems to be the area where the binding is. Unless both bushings are bad..could be I guess, is it possible that when the motors were swapped the mechanic might have tightened the self-locking nut too much? Any help appreciated.

have you tried greasing the trim pin ends and the wear pads?
    do you have twin steering cylinders?
    yes the tilt bolt bushings can and do corrode but its a rather time consuming fix.

Comment

Bindin Tilt

Not the trim rods, it's a tilt problem. I'll get back to it today, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come down to the bushings. I don't have the ability to change them so it could get painful. First I'm going to try to remove the steering linkage; one of the grease fittings is hard to get at and I need to make sure I'm actually getting enough grease into the fitting. Second, I'm going to back the self-locking nut off a bit to see if that helps. Thanks for your help, rodbolt17.

Comment

Working...
      X