Best 2 stroke oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 2 stroke oil

I'm getting ready to break-in my new 9.9 2 stroke and need your suggestions on which brand of 2 stroke oil to mix with my gas. My owners manual recommends Yamalube of course, but was wondering if there was another brand that is more available(such as quicksilver) that would perform just as well. While on the subject of 2 stroke oil, is there a shelf-life on this type of oil? Wouldn't want to buy a large quantity and have it go bad before I could use it up. Thanks

Hello yamahammer,

When I purchased my Yamaha (2005), my dealer told me that I cold run any good quality oil. He preferred the Yamalube, Quicksilver, or Johnson/Evinrude brands. I run Quicksilver.

I am certain that there is a "self life" but it is probably measured in decades

Comment

hammer,
      I would use Yamalube during break-in and until your warranty runs out, just so that there are no questions whatsoever if you have any warranty claims.
      After warranty, you could switch to save a little money, but that 9.9 is not going to be using much oil anyway. Quicksilver and Pennzoil Marine (synthetic blend) are the two I use most often.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll use the Yamalube while under warranty, as Ken suggested, then maybe switch to the Quicksilver. If I find that I don't use a lot of oil I may just stick with the Yamalube.

Comment

you can definately buy cheaper oil but MAY be compromsing motor longevity,the old techs will always tell you to run the good stuff and some will tell you never to mix brands altho ive never had any issues doin it and have for years. i do whatever i can to keep mines in the bestest working order as possible and if that means runnin the more expensive stuuff i will and do... as i often run 100-200 miles away from home so id rather not blame an issue on some cheaper oil,plugs etc.

Comment

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. How much are you going to save in a season by using cheeper oil? Maybe $10-$15 .Remember...the most expensive thing you can put into your outboard motor is cheep oil
            Dennis

415 dollars

Comment

Working...
            X