Yamaha F9.9 won't start please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F9.9 won't start please help!

I have removed the 703 adapter and want to know which wire to cross to get the motor starting as I have no control panel or switches attached. I expect I'll need choke engaging as it's freezing cold temps right now.

So far I've crossed brown and red which got the starter motor going well. Engine believed to be working engine without faults. Thanks.

Also, if I were looking to buy switches to get it going without the 703, which switches would I need to buy?

EDIT: It's an FT9.9ELF
    Last edited by 123froggy; 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM.

12 Volts to brown wire at starter solenoid will engage starter, 12 volts to dark blue in 7 pin harness will engage choke, ground the white wire in 7 pin harness to shut engine off.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. This is exactly what I've tried. Minus the choke bit, as I've read there may be an automatic choke. However there is no start, just moderate spinning, presumably I need to check the sparking, or there isn't quite enough juice in my battery. I reckon the former but could be both. I'll have to buy the tool at the weekend.

Comment

I've just checked and there is no sparking at the plugs. Isn't there supposed to be a yellow wire coming from the start switch connecting somewhere?

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE. I've just seen sparking at the plugs. Should run now. I'm working on the engine right now. Will report back.
        Last edited by 123froggy; 01-19-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

that model has an auto enrichment system that is based on ambient temp.
          uses no electrical inputs.
          can be set to manual enrichment for cold starts.
          blue wire is irrelavent on that model.
          its a funky setup and the vacum lines MUST be properly connected or the system wont work properly.

Comment

Well I got the thing running. Have to say, I'm impressed by the throttle response. Forgot to disconnect the starter motor (!) so I've flattened the battery. Will have to wait a little while to try it again but luckily it didn't fry. Pouring a lot of hot water over the engine parts helped enormously, reduced the load on the starter motor.

Comment

Just a quick question. When in 'run' do I need to have a red wire connected to anything? It doesn't seem to like running when I disengage starter motor but sounds fine until I do. I will keep trying anyway, it may be the cold weather.

EDIT: Adjusted the idle speed and got it running fine.
              Last edited by 123froggy; 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X