Yamaha F150 Cam Seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F150 Cam Seized

I think the balancer finally went on my starboard 2005 yamaha 4 stroke. Motor has 975 hours and was throwing the timing belt. Took it apart to find out the motor had a small wobble in the cam shaft. Opened the valve cover and sure enough the tops of the cams were fried. The cylinders look good just a little tiny tiny abrasion but nothing cracked or noticeable damage.Did a compression check and all 4 cylinders were great. I am going to order a new head assembly but I have a couple of questions.
    1. With a new cylinder assembly, will the motor preform the same even with a very slight abrasion in the cylinders? (by the way did a compression check and all 4 cylinders were 165 or above)
    2. Should i be cleaning and or replacing anything else while doing this?
    3. Where is the best place to buy this part, and the most economical
    Thanks so much in advance. Without people like you I would never attempt this myself. Your wealth of knowledge is greatly appreciated

Number 1 in thgis link is complete head assemble, 2005 F150TXRD Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY Diagram and Parts it will come with new head gasket.
    If belt popped off then valves may have hit piston, check for piston damage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Pistons and cylinders are good everything seems to be checking out. Last thing that needs to be checked is the balancer. Compression is 165 or better in all 4 cylinders and cylinders and pistons look very clean. Hopefully balancer didn't blow apart throwing metal fragments everywhere.

Comment

Was compression even on all cylinders, did you run a leak down test?
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

compression was even on all cylinders. They looked clean and pistons looked factory.

Comment

Just took apart balancer and 1 wheel is ripped to shreds. The fragments are not plastic. Should I be looking for a power head at this point?

Comment

Would need to take engine apart clean and inspect for damage.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

typically as the nylon teeth shred it clogs the oil pickup and the pressure control valve and low oil pressure is the result.
                you now will need to dissasemble the engine,clean the oil passages and dissasemble clean and inspect the oil sump and strainer.
                you will also need to plastigage all bearing clearences.

Comment

That's the plan. Is this worth doing? Has there been success at cleaning all oil ports and having no issues? Do you have any parts for sale?

Comment

Working...
                  X