Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hole in upper casing of 50TLRZ Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in upper casing of 50TLRZ Need Help!

Hello,

I have managed to punch a hole in the lower portion of the upper casing on my Yamaha outboard. This is a 2 stroke long shaft motor from about 2001. A submerged obstruction was hit while in reverse and I didn't notice the damage until I had been running the boat for a couple of days. See picture:

So, I know water has gotten into the interior of the casing but I'm not sure what if any damage may have occurred. The motor seems to run fine and I haven't noticed any excessive fuel or oil leaking into water. I've been running in cold weather so freezing is a concern. My first thought is to drop the lower unit and get any water out. Then, plug hole with JB Weld and 5200 as I don't have access to a welder at this point. However, I am concerned about what damage may inherently occur by having water in there. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Last edited by marlinspike; 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM.

nothing in there.
    its all cosmetic in the picture.
    its all simply air space.
    may be a bit louder.
    if ya cant get it welded JB weld it.
    no need to dissasemble anything.
    I would be more worried about the upper motor mounts.

Comment

Rod -

Thanks for the reply. Puts me at ease! I will recheck mounts and for other damage once again more closely as it was a pretty good impact. So, will the water drain out or sit in there? My thought was if I dropped the lower unit, any standing water and moisture could be removed? But perhaps it's not holding water. I looked at the parts diagram and it appears that there is a muffler in there but I could be reading the schematic wrong. I updated the picture to better resution. Seems like about an inch or so of water would be sitting after pulling boat out of water...?

Jerry
      Last edited by marlinspike; 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

it will drain, same as if the hole wasnt there.
        that cavity normally has water in it at rest.
        its all open inside.
        no worries.

Comment

Thanks again. Much anxiety relieved! This is my transportation to otherwise inaccessible locations!

Regards,

Jerry

Comment

Working...
          X