Consequences of stuck trim tab master switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consequences of stuck trim tab master switch

I have triple 225 Yamaha 4 strokes. The "master" trim tab switch (for the engines) sticks in the up position. I had the switch replaced, but the replacement also sticks in the up position. When out on the boat, the switch was left in the up position for 5-10 minutes. When we returned to the boat after swimming, one of the three engines would not go down. Diagnosis is one bad trim motor. I am being told that the stuck trim switch did not cause the trim motor failure. Reason I have been provided is that all six trim motors would have to have failed for that to be the cause (both trim motors on all three engines).

I don't believe this makes any sense. I would appreciate any expert thoughts.

The outboard power trim system and trim tab system on boat are on separator circuits and a failure with one shouldn't cause a failure with other unless trim tabs being stuck on ran battery down and caused a low voltage problem to outboards.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for replying.

I wasn't clear, I am only talking about the outboard trim system. The master trim switch for the outboards was stuck in the up position. One of the trim motors on one of the three engines failed when this occurred. I am being told this trim motor failure was not the result of the master trim switch being stuck in the up position. Their logic is that all six of the trim motors (both on all three engines) would have to have failed for the trim switch "sticking" to be the cause.

Comment

I did not know that each of those motors had 2 trim motors all I have ever heard about is one on each and you just reverse the direction to change direction.

If you think the Master tilt switch is the problem and replacing it did not solve the problem of sticking then I do not think the switch is really the problem.

Did all motors keep moving up and no one noticed the trim motors running? or was it just one running?
        If all were running for a long period of time and only one went bad, why do you think the switch caused just one to go bad?

Comment

each engine has only ONE trim motor.
          yes a bad switch can cause motor failure.
          it can only run so long stalled before it overheats.
          I think you have a different issue.
          who made the control box?

Comment

Working...
          X