F115 main upper crank seal leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 main upper crank seal leaking

I recently purchased a 2005 115hp 4-stroke knowing there was a seal issue. Seller's mechanic said it's the upper crank seal which was estimated to be a $500 repair. Is this an easy fix or something that would exceed $500? If I'm looking at $1000+ I'm willing to give it a whirl even though I really don't have the time to monkey with it. I'm sure the powerhead will have to be removed and the head cracked open, but if done delicately and pistons kept away from the bottom of their stroke it seems the top of the motor can stay in place. Am I off with this assessment?
    Thanks

Repair cost shouldn't be over 500 if it's just the seal.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

that seal can be replaced without "cracking" anything.
      flywheel and cam drive sprocket must be removed.

Comment

Rodbolt, that is fantastic news. Have you seen this problem and repaired it? Can I assume the R&R of this seal is moderately simple? Are there any specialized tools required other than a puller to remove the flywheel?

Comment

the socket to remove the cam drive sproket nut.

Comment

Do not forget the Yamaha service manual for your motor, you will need that too.

Comment

Is that socket a special tool? The motor is 3hrs north of me and in a rural area. I'm headed there tomorrow and hope to work on it.
              Thanks again!

Comment

had to order mine from proto.
                cant remember the size,like 45 mm deep well.

Comment

99YAM40: Do you have a suggestion for that service manual? I see some downloadable versions as well as some in print. I certainly don't want to buy the wrong one.
                  Thanks

Comment

The Yamaha one for your motor are the best in my opinion, they do not cover all different sizes and years so it makes it simple to figure out what motor they are talking about. The after market ones may not give all the info you are looking for for each and every motor, but some people have both

Comment

Will the service manual cover this seal replacement or is it self-explanatory once the flywheel and cam sprocket are removed?

Comment

Someone has offered me a 1999 F115 service manual. Would that essentially be the same as the one for 2005?

Comment

essentially the same.
                          seal replacement is not covered except for a tear down.
                          remove the flywheel,remove the cam drive sprocket.
                          use a 1/8 drill bit and carefully drill two holes 180* apart.
                          use #10 self tapping screws,insert screws and use side cutters to pop the seal out.
                          carefully clean and inspect the crank seal surface.
                          use a suitable socket or pipe to install the new seal.

Comment

Thanks Rodbolt. Seems fairly easy. I'm guessing the flywheel and sprocket removal will be the most challenging.
                            Is there a PCV valve that I should check or change? Due to gravity, I find it surprising to have a leak on the top of an engine.

Comment

Rodbolt, I forgot to ask if a sealant should be used when installing the new seal. Additionally, will a blow to dislodge the old seal help to get it moving?

Comment

Working...
                              X