T9.9 salt damage prevention question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T9.9 salt damage prevention question

I have a 1993 Yamaha T9.9MXHR that I've taken apart to clean out the salt accumulation. I was told that these motors are known for decaying in the upper driveshaft casing on the aft side just above the drain hole. I did find a lot of salt accumulation in this area in a little rectangular pocket that sits just behind the drain hole tube and above the exit hole. This pocket has no drain holes like all other areas in the upper casing. This compartment contains a rectangular rubber gasket (called the "cover, upper casing" (#15, 6G8-45151-00-00) gasket shown in the upper casing view on (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx) that fits above this area and opens up into the upper cowling. Can anybody please tell me if I can drill drain holes in this compartment to drain into the upper casing to prevent salt water accumulation.

You should be able to drill a hole on outside of housing into that compartment, just drill any holes into center of housing that would allow exhaust back into the compartment. Once you drill the hole needs to be painted to keep it from corroding.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thank you so much for your info. Any suggestion on paint? How about painting the whole interior after puddying the decay holes with JB Weld first?
      thanks again. . .

Comment

Working...
      X