"Winter Storage in Garage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Winter Storage in Garage"

Hello. Probably basic questions but I haven't been able to figure out proper procedure(s). I have year 2006 F60 and F8 outboards on my 2006 fishing boat. One switchable fuel line for both. I'm storing the boat in my garage until spring. I ran both motors about a month ago and won't run them again for about 4 more months. Temperature in my insulated garage never drops below 50 degrees. The boat gas tank is about full. Should I add fuel stabilizer to the tank for the 23 gals on board. How do I (or can I) run the stabilizer thru the motors w/o launching? Do I need to do anything else to insure the motors are ready for spring? Both motors have less than 4 hours total time from my one trip after purchasing the boat package. Thanks! Burton in Boise, Idaho.

Fuel stabilizer works best with fresh fuel if your fuel is over a month old it wont work as well as should. You can add stabil to gas and remove fuel hose from engine and put hose back into fuel fill neck and pump primer bulb until fuel in tank is mixed with stabil. On the bottom of carbs is a drain screw, open drain screws and drain carbs tilt engine up and back down to drain fuel out of fuel filter and fuel lines, tighten drain screws and leave carbs dry of fuel.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Burton,
      I would pull the boat down to the nearest gas station and add fuel stabilizer (Sta-Bil or SeaFoam)- enough to treat a total of, say, 33 gallons - add another 10 gallons of gas to chase the fuel stabilizer. When you pull the rig back home, all will mix pretty well.
      If you can't pull the rig out of the garage, then add fuel stabilizer to two 5 gallon cans and fill them up with fresh gas and add that to the existing 23 gallons.
      If at all possible, when the outside temp is above freezing, pull the boat out onto the driveway and hook up the earmuffs and run the motors for five minutes each - do this at least every two weeks.
      If you can't run the motors on the driveway in off season, then follow what the boats.net mechanic says - drain carbs. I would also follow instructions in owners manual about fogging the motors.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks for both replies. I'll top it off while adding stabilizer. Should take at least 7 or 8 more gallons. If I can get a good day this week or next I earmuff it and run them; otherwise I'll drain per instructions and fog the motors.

Comment

Got a few hours today with the temp in the mid-40's so I hooked up the boat and took it to the gas station. Added Sta-bil and topped off the tank. (took 8 more gallons) Drove on over to the dealer Idaho Marine here in Boise. Told them I'd added Sta-Bil and asked about winterizing and earmuffs. Told me to leave the boat; they'd put in inside the shop and winterize it for free. So, I'm taken care of for this year. These guys are terrific; 3d time they've given me something without charge. Come spring I'll buy my cartop boat from them. Just emphasizes the importance of the dealer you choose! Thanks again for the input. I will be more prepared next winter.

Comment

Working...
          X