1986 115 lower unit roughness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 115 lower unit roughness

Working on a 1986 115 lower unit. With the water pump removed when I turn the drive shaft in neutral feels like roughness in a bearing. When I pull upward on the shaft it turns smoothly. This is the second one I've seen like this. Is it normal/acceptable? No metal on magnet and lube looks like new.

Probably need to inspect upper drive shaft bearing, may have had water in gearcase or run low on oil at some time and damaged bearing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thrust bearing or the regular one? Can they be replaced by removing the cover below the water pump?

thanks

Comment

Could be either one, yes would be able to replace them without taking drive shaft out.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

pretty much normal, jonny rude cases do the same thing.
          its also why the post 1995 V cases use a method to tAKE the bearing lash out of the shaft.
          pull up and the bearing is zero lash,let it drop and the pinion rides deeper.
          study the design a bit and it will become clear.

Comment

So, if it's smooth pulling up and turning leave it alone? When it's running in neutral will it tend to pull upwards or push down?

I have a couple others that have no lash and are smooth. All are mid to late 80s.

Comment

what do sprial bevel cut gears do?
              whats the difference in the smaller 3cyl and lower cases in the pinion gear cut?
              whats the difference in the shimming procedure in the 3cyl and V4 pinion?

Comment

Ha? Not sure what you're getting at......

Comment

Working...
                X