250 Jumping up in reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 Jumping up in reverse

My new-to-me 1995 250 is jumping up and sounds jolty when going to reverse while moving forward at about 7-10 MPH while coming into dock. I can't really get it to slow down the boat. It seems to be OK if I am just backing out of the dock from a dead start, or even in the driveway. Is there bleed screw or something that could have been undone when they removed it from the old boat? or can the function for lifting when hitting a log be messed up?

coming into dock 7 to 10 mph,, ***,, slow down, that would be at least 1200 to 1500 rpm... that is to fast to hit reverse,, i would expect it to jump,,, docking would be idle speed only,, and if you are idling at 7 to 10 then there is your issue..

Comment

To clarify, I go to neutural for a bit when approaching the dock and before going into reverse, so engine is at idle. I have some speed to beat the wind for docking, so speed is up a little bit. Maybe 5-7 MPH is more appropriate.. Still, engine chugged.. put it back in Neutural and tried again with same result.. then once I manually stopped the boat, I tried reverse and it was OK.. Tried forward to reverse 5x and all was well. Seems like speed or more throttle is affecting it.

I don't think I have air in the tilt/trim as it moves up and down no problem.....

Comment

Also should mention my 1994 250 I removed for this one never had this issue and I'm driving the same way..

Comment

Re-adjusted the throttle cables and ran it today. All went well.. I was thinking, I may have had the engine trimmed up a quite bit and maybe that caused it to jump and not grab.. Onward ho!

Comment

Working...
          X