Is my 90 using too much oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my 90 using too much oil?

I've got a 2001 90Z on my boat. The boat has about a 20 gallon tank. Ok so I fill up the boat and take it out for the day. I come back and on average I have used about 1/2 to a little bit less of the oil in the resevoir tank.

I dont notice any smoke when running, but occasionaly I have seen a little bit of smoke when idling. Not sure if its related, but it seems like when idleing the motor will "sometimes" make a wheeze or fart like sound. Kinda like a puff. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Guy a the local boat place said possibly a reed valve but that until it gets worse probably just leave it for now since it doesnt do it all the time.

Anyone have an idea? Is the oil thing adjustable, or should it be using that much?

Thanks

an occasional spit or fart is what i call a lean spit,, you should link and sync the engine.

Comment

Thanks. What does that mean linc and sync the engine? Is that something I can do myself or does it require something special?

Does it also sound like I'm using too much oil?

Comment

at cruising speed it should use about 1 gallon of oil per 50 gallons of fuel.

Comment

Working...
        X