Yamaha Multi-Function Tach Dip Switch Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Multi-Function Tach Dip Switch Settings

I have a 1999 Yamaha 40HP, 2 stroke (model# C40TLRX)
    I recently acquired a used Yamaha Multi-Function Tach (part# 6Y5-8350T-82) along with the wiring harnesses on eBay, there were no instructions with the Tach. By using searches on this site and others, I have determined that the correct settings for the 1st & 3rd Dip switch is off for both. However, I haven't been able to find how to determine the Generator Type in order to set the 2nd switch. Can anyone tell me how the switch should be set or how to determine the Generator Type? All three switches were off when I received the Tach. Thanks.

Larry,
    The answer to your question is somewhere back in the posts - but I can't find it either. I believe you put switch #2 in the down position for a 12 pole generator on a two-stroke.
    But it should be obvious if you have it set for a 4-stroke, as you would get twice the normal rpm reading.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks, Ken. You are right. Since I posted my question, I have found that the generator on my motor is a 6 pole type which would indicate that the 2nd switch should be set to the ON or UP position for my motor.

Comment

25-70hp 6 pole setting
        90- 300hp 12 pole setting
        25-250 four stroke 12 pole setting
        2000 and newer use 2 lead trim sender setting
        1999 and older use 3 lead trim sender setting
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi everyone, new to this site and I have a problem with my dip switch settings as well. The temp light keeps flashing even when the engine is cold. I have a 2008 90hp two stroke with what appears to be 6Y5 gauges. The sticker on the back of the speedo says 6X3 and there is a 61Q stamped on the back of the tacho. They both look the same as the 6Y5. All the other functions work except this flashing temp light. I saw something on YouTube about dip switch settings but dummy me forgot to save the video and now I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone lead me in the right direction please. Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X