Chirping of 40 HP Outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chirping of 40 HP Outboard

I have about a 1998 - 2000 year model Yamaha outboard, tiller, 3 stacked carbs., 40 H.P. It chirps, especially when it idles. Will run for hours chirping. One repairman adjusted the fuel mixture, and he thought it would fix it. It did not. Then, this same man said we need to remove the carbs and clean them. We did that. No cure. I took it to another man. He said the carbs needed to be synchronized. He allegedly synchronized the carbs. It then did not chirp for about 6 months. Now, it chirps again. Some call it sneezing. Some say it is "kicking back through the reeds." Some say that it has no reeds. One man on this forum said that he thought his chirping was caused by the two bearings on the crankshaft, and that they needed to be replaced and new gaskets installed. WHAT IS WITH THIS CHIRPING? It obviously is a problem for outboards, especially Yamahas????? I need some opinions from someone who has seen this problem and successfully resolved this issue! Many thanks.

"Chirping" is usually associated with a lean fuel condition caused by debris is carbs/jets. Lean condition can cause real damage to pistons and should be fixed before a major failure. Do you have a fuel/water separator that can help keep water, dirt, debris out of carbs?

Comment

Chirping & Water/Fuel Seperater

I do not know about the water/fuel seperator. I will have to check and find out. I do not think, though, that there is one on there. Maybe that is something I need to check into. But, on one occasion I had all 3 carbs removed, cleaned, adjusted and re-installed, and it starting chirping again within an hour or two (or less) after I initially ran it post-carb cleaning. I do appreciate your input.

Comment

Install a Walmart/Attwood Fuel/water Separator($27) to help reduce water and debris from reaching your carbs. Sounds like your entire fuel system, tanks, lines, pumps, etc. could stand to be cleaned and flushed out...if it's contaminated with old degraded fuel and/or water then it can continue to foul your carb jets. Good Luck!

Comment

Chirping

Thanks, I will get an Attwood fuel/water separator and install it. I will say this, I have installed new plugs, a new fuel tank, new fuel line, and had the carbs off, cleaned, adjusted, synchronized, etc., and I will put in the separator, because, it will help the overall situation indeed. The "chirping" or "lean sneeze" seems obviously a carb problem, because when the carbs are cleaned and synchronized the problem either improves or is alleviated all together for awhile. Any other recommendations?

Comment

Working...
          X