Yamaha F90 Prop Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F90 Prop Question

I posted this on Florida Sportman Boating/Prop forum about three days ago and haven't received any replies. Thought I would give it a shot here.
    Yamaha F90 Stainless Prop Question

My 2005 Yamaha F90 was delivered new in 2005 with a Solas 17 pitch stainless prop. I ran it for about a year and switched over to a aluminum turning point so I could just change over with a spare housing if necessary. I sold the stainless solas to someone who had a 2008 F90. He had trouble with his lower unit that needed extensive repair and the Yamaha dealer said the damage was caused by the Solas stainless prop. I don't quite understand as the prop fit his shaft and didn't cause any apparent vibration or have any evident fitting problems. Does anyone know if the two engines have identical shafts or was it different in 2008. I'm refunding the money and taking the prop back. I just don't know if I should ever put it back on my 2005 F90 if it may (I don't know) damage my lower unit. Would appreciate any comments.

FLCoyote

you need to find out what kind of damage occurred to his lower unit.

maybe he did not install the thrust washer and it ate up housing from contact with prop hub

If it was internal problems (gears/bearings), I do not see how your prop would have caused that

Comment

Turns out that he installed a washer first and then the thrust washer. That resulted in increasing tightness on the shaft over time and eventually lower unit failure. Thank you for your input.

FLCoyote

Comment

SS Prop

** Thanks for the update **
        I have a 2011 F90 with the SS prop and was worried
        Retired and Loving Life

Comment

Originally posted by FLCoyote View Post
          Turns out that he installed a washer first and then the thrust washer. That resulted in increasing tightness on the shaft over time and eventually lower unit failure. Thank you for your input.

FLCoyote
          So did he still blame it on your prop and you gave his money back?

Comment

F90 Yamaha Prop

Yes, I did refund the money and got the prop back. Just felt like it wasn't worth making an issue of it as the prop is in perfect condition and cost $350 new. I think I can sell it quickly for $150 if I make the effort. Sometime its worth making a minor concession instead of winning a battle and losing a war.

FLCoyote

Comment

Working...
            X