C40 overheat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C40 overheat ?

Have a '97 C40PLRV (2cyl). It was brought to me with the understanding that the water jackets, exhaust manifold had been opened up and cleaned out. They say the impeller was replaced as well. The problem is it overheats 2 minutes into WOT. Went out with them with my temp gun and oh yeah she's gettin hot.
    They had me pull the power head and check to make sure there is no blockage in the cooling passages there. There was some build up but actually did not seem that extreme.My question is....(since I don't see it on a parts diagram) should there be some type of grommet or bushing or...? between the upper and lower casing. There is not one there nor is there remnants. Appreciate any knowledge out there.

Not sure what grommet you are talking about but there isn't one between upper casing and gearcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

That's all I needed to know. A mechanic with many years more experience told me there was and was most likely the root of the problem...I didn't want to shoot him down and i didn't want to reassemble if I was missing something. So thanks for the verification.

Comment

Maybe check the thermostat and Pressure Control Valve?...

Comment

40 does not have PCV

Might he be talking about the 2 rubber grommets where water tube comes out of water pump and where tube hits power head?
          I believe it should have something at power head to seal tube going into it

Had a 15 HP OMC years ago that had the upper water tube grommet swell up and restrict water flow into the power head.

Also might need to look at water pump housing for problems and the wearplate and cup if those have not been replaced
          Last edited by 99yam40; 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            40 does not have PCV

Might he be talking about the 2 rubber grommets where water tube comes out of water pump and where tube hits power head?
            I believe it should have something at power head to seal tube going into it

Had a 15 HP OMC years ago that had the upper water tube grommet swell up and restrict water flow into the power head.

Also might need to look at water pump housing for problems and the wearplate and cup if those have not been replaced
            Wonder how some motors have PCV and others don't?...you could be right about those water tube grommets...if they were loose or missing, it would cause overheating...maybe so...

Comment

Working on OMC is why I thought there might be a grommet. But the reply back from parts @ boats.net and looking at the diagram confirm there is not. So, as mentioned, others worked on the motor before I rec'd it...so I guess I have to double check everything they did. The ENTIRE cooling circuit has been cleaned out, new thermostat, new gasket at powerhead, head cover even taken to machine shop and milled. It will run at low RPM all day and as soon as WOT off goes the alarm the temp gun and to the touch let me know she's hot. Current plan of attack:#1 I'm thinking maybe they have the wrong impeller installed #2 double check torque on powerhead bolts. #3 after milling they reinstalled head cover with same gasket (which was new after cleaning jackets) so, add some gasket seal or try a new gasket #4 this is were I was looking for the help! Anyone?

Comment

As I said before
                Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Comment

Working...
                X