Removing tilt cylinder cap after disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing tilt cylinder cap after disassembly

I finally got my tilt cylinder cap off with a large pair of channel locks after bending two spanner wrenches. Now i'm trying to figure out how to get the cap off to change the dust and backup seals.

There's a small roll pin holding a ball bearing, does this have to come out? Does the rod thread into the bottom plunger?

It threads on, but you have to be very careful not to scar or damage the surface of the piston.. we have special tools for that... good luck.. a single scratch will cause you problems..

Comment

not knowing which unit your working with, i cant say.
      a picture of the bottom of the piston would work.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        not knowing which unit your working with, i cant say.
        a picture of the bottom of the piston would work.
        It's off an 08 70TLR 6H3K

Looks like it's starting to rust!

I had removed the bottom torx and pulled the bearings/springs/pins out and put it in a soft vice but was unable to get it to break loose. I didn't push it too much as i wasn't 100% sure it is threaded in.

Comment

There is a special set of babbit clamps for the vise that hold the piston fast for removal,,, technically this is not servicable but can be done if very careful.. I have repaired many of these,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoiha View Post
            There is a special set of babbit clamps for the vise that hold the piston fast for removal,,, technically this is not servicable but can be done if very careful.. I have repaired many of these,,,
            "Not serviceable"?? They expected rubber seals to last forever??? I have to replace the seals in the cap, it has to come off.

Comment

DO NOT try to remove the roll pin and ball.
              once all the springs,pins and balls are out.
              lock the ram end in the vice with the piston pointing up.
              place two 5/16ths pins in two bores.
              use a large screw driver to carefully unthread it.
              that babbit/AL tool sometimes wont work.

Comment

Originally posted by elwood__ View Post
                "Not serviceable"?? They expected rubber seals to last forever??? I have to replace the seals in the cap, it has to come off.
                no they expect you to buy the whole sub assembly at 700 plus dollars,, it is not hard to get the piston off, just be careful not to scar it...

Comment

I ended up taking it to a Yamaha shop, half hour minimum charge later and they disassembled it and replaced all the seals.

Now i'm trying to get it full and bleed the air.

I filled the reservoir, loosened the manual release screw/valve and let the engine all the way down by hand, picked it up by hand and rested it on the tilt stop, filled the reservoir till full, replaced plug, lowered engine by hand then picked it up again and rested on tilt stop. I did this about 4 times till i ran out of fluid (had a small tube) but it's almost full and bled.

Just want to make sure this is the correct way to bleed the air out of cylinders.

Comment

How to bleed Yamaha Tilt/Trim

Apparently I'm doing a few things wrong, here's how to bleed the tilt/trim straight from a Yamaha service manual in case others are wondering or find this page with a search engine:

1. Begin by making sure there is fluid inside the reservoir, even with the outboard in the normal running position (not tilted). Clean the area around the fill plug to prevent contaminants entering the system when the plug is loosened or removed. Slowly start to loosen the fill plug, if fluid starts to run (or spray) out, stop loosening the plug and re-tighten it until the outboard is tilted. However, if no fluid escapes, go ahead and removed the plug, then add fluid until it is level with the bottom of the screw threads. Lightly reinstall the reservoir plug.

2. Open the manual release valve (either by rotating the Allen head of the valve clockwise, or the slotted head counterclockwise, as applicable), rotating it slowly in the proper direction until it stops.

3. With the manual release valve open, slowly pull the outboard upward by hand, extending the tilt piston. As the tilt piston is extended, the piston in the cylinder will draw fluid into the cylinder, thus lowering the level in the chamber.

4. Carefully release the outboard, allowing it to lower by its own weight, then once the outboard is lowered fully, re-tighten the manual release valve.

5. Allow the PTT system fluid to settle for about 5 minutes.

6 Push the PTT switch allowing the system to move the motor to the fully upward position.

7. Push the tilt stop lever to support the outboard.

8. Again, allow the PTT system fluid to settle for about 5 minutes.

9. Remove the reservoir cap and check the fluid level. Add fluid as necessary until it is even with the bottom of the fill plug then install and tighten the reservoir cap.

10. Repeat as necessary until the fluid remains at the correct level.

Comment

This is what i do,,,,

put the engine on the tilt lock.
                      close the manual valve.
                      start adding fluid to the resevoir,
                      as you are adding fluid press the up button.
                      keep pressing the up button and adding fluid until the engine comes off
                      the tilt lock and raises all the way up.
                      at that point quit pressing the up button. the system is full.
                      continue to fill the resevoir.
                      when the resevoir is full put the cap back on.
                      release the tilt lock
                      open the manual valve and allow the engine to go all the way down.
                      close the manual valve.
                      it should now operate normally.

Comment

Working...
                      X